Discuss Epoxy Grout - any tips for easy application? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi,

As title says i'm just wondering if there is anyone who has any tips on how to apply epoxy grout. Are there any tips or methods i'm not aware off? or do I just have to get the scouring pads out and apply that horrible stuff a cm at at time? is there anything that can be added to make the paste more playable ect?

have a 100mtr swimming pool coming up next week and the thought of grouting all that in epoxy is making my stomach churn.

I have only ever used epoxy twice before on jobs and that was "apparently" the easy application stuff. However, it was far from easy application - any tips from the pros appreciated.

thanks

Paul

Brian the Tile

TF
Arms
Reaction score
no easy way with epoxy im afraid,use one of the hard grout floats,get as much of as possible then the scouring pads and a good few of the cellouse sponges is the way to go imo,and keep changing your water,good luck

B

bugs183

If the floor is laid to falls always grout from the lower end up, that way no water will run into the joints. Epoxy hates water and will just roll out damp joints.

BAN ANYONE FROM ENTERING THE AREA!!!!! Any foot traffic across newly grouted floors walk damp epoxy onto the tiles and it will be a nightmare to remove.

Buy loads of emulsyfying pads, i think Tradetiler are the cheapest. Chop them in two, they are easier to use then and last much longer.

An d above all have fun!!! :thumbsup:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Few tips.

- Apply tiny bits at a time (sorry there's no faster way) but more importantly aim to get nearly nothing on the actual tile.
- Use a proper epoxy hard grout float, and use the tip of it to push it into the joints
- Never wash water into the joints while you're emulsifying and sponging, so leave the bit near to where you last did, sort the first bit out, then carry on applying it further up the joint, and then go back to the last bit you didn't clean up and clean that up (if that made sense). So you end up with a couple of stages on the go at the same time, a bit you're cleaning up and can wet, and a bit you're still applying which stays dry until you're further up the grout joint.
- Use proper emulsifying pads, and the type that has no colouring in them. You can get these attach to a handle type affair with tiny spikes on if you look around to find one (think TradeTiler.com sells them not sure)
- Use each of the 6 sides to the sponge, not just the two larger obvious bits. And try to only wipe the tile not the grout joint too much. Once it gets mucky, it can't really be used on a tile as you'll just never get it clean again

I used to detest BAL easypoxy, but used a Mapei one once and it felt easier to apply but still washed off the same. Not sure if it just felt like that as I had a small area to do, yet with the BAL stuff I'd done hundreds of meters of the stuff over the space of a couple of years because the plonker I used to work for used to love it (As he didn't need to apply it probably!!)

J

J Sid

30 years ago all i used was epoxy grout. We used a compressed air tube which was like a big silicon gun, mixed the epoxy in a drum and paddle mixer, 15 to 20 kg at a time. Used a pointing trowel to scrap excess of joints then cleaned of with steaming hot water, dragging an old woolen jumper over it to clean excess and a final clean with acetone. They were the days. I miss them NOT.

Reaction score
Which epoxy do you have the pleasure of using?

I have no idea Bri, the firm i contract for will be supplying the materials... if I had any say in the pools finish id buy a big tub of blue paint, hire a painter and go tile a bathroom instead lol

M

MTiler

I know longer use celulose sponges when cleaning epoxy grout, waste of money and decent sponge, they just get clogged up. I use white emulsifying pads, get loads, and sponge cloths. The sponge cloths dont clogg up or smear, I find they give a better finish and can get into the corners easier. If you find the finish is a bit smeary/ sticky wipe over with acetone straight away.
If your provided with 5kg tubs and your applying it on your own you can mix half at a time to make it alot easier.
Always wear nitrile gloves, if any gets on your skin clean it off straight away.

Reply to Epoxy Grout - any tips for easy application? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks