Discuss Ensuite bathroom - Gap in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi,

We are currently getting our en-suite tiled and there seems to be an issue.

On one of the walls where the tiles are exposed, there is no gap at the very top but as you work your way to the bottom there is about a 10mm gap.

The tiler said that the wall surface wasn't flat but the wall is brand new and you can clearly see large amounts of bond being used.

View: https://imgur.com/a/HrHrxCm

View: https://imgur.com/a/yY0jbCb

View: https://imgur.com/a/VRjsc7M

Any help would be appreciated. I feel like they are just going to try and deny it.

Dave

TF
Staff member
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Hi. Just because it’s a new wall doesn’t mean it’s flat or plumb. Sometimes you have to use extra depth if for say a screen is fastened over the tiles and requires a flat and plumb surface.
Did you ensure the walls were flat etc prior to the tiler starting or whoever’s was responsible for that.

Reaction score
Hi. Just because it’s a new wall doesn’t mean it’s flat or plumb. Sometimes you have to use extra depth if for say a screen is fastened over the tiles and requires a flat and plumb surface.
Did you ensure the walls were flat etc prior to the tiler starting or whoever’s was responsible for that.
Hi Dave.

Good point. I need to measure with a large spirit level to see how flat the tiles are cause you are right, we will need to fix a shower screen to it.

In terms of who is responsible for a flat wall to begin with.. surely it’s the builders? I have not done any of the work myself.

Dave

TF
Staff member
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Hi Dave.

Good point. I need to measure with a large spirit level to see how flat the tiles are cause you are right, we will need to fix a shower screen to it.

In terms of who is responsible for a flat wall to begin with.. surely it’s the builders? I have not done any of the work myself.
Yes whoever prepped or built said
Wall prior to tiler arriving.

Reaction score
Yes whoever prepped or built said
Wall prior to tiler arriving.
Thanks again Dave.
Would you have a recommendation on how to fix an issue like this?

I imagine starting the wall from scratch would be pretty destructive.. they might just try and silicon the gap...

Should I ask for a discount?

I just feel a bit helpless at this point since its already set in stone... (no pun intended)...

Dave

TF
Staff member
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Thanks again Dave.
Would you have a recommendation on how to fix an issue like this?

I imagine starting the wall from scratch would be pretty destructive.. they might just try and silicon the gap...

Should I ask for a discount?

I just feel a bit helpless at this point since its already set in stone... (no pun intended)...
As long as the tiles are fixed correctly and not exceeded the max adhesive depth then there is no issue , simply fill with decorators flexi caulk.

Lou

Admin
Staff member
Esteemed
Reaction score
Welcome, did you get this sorted?

Reply to Ensuite bathroom - Gap in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks