Discuss Electrical: Faulty electrical socket in the Electrical Engineering and Electrical Forum area at TilersForums.com

Mapei Tile Adhesive - Official forum sponsor
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Electrical News

TF Official Sponsor
Premium
Faulty electrical socket

I have an electrical socket that hasn't worked since we moved into our unit (4 years ago). I finally decided to take a look and see what was going on.

The outlet has a very low voltage coming into it... about 4V according to my multi-meter. I tested the wires coming into the outlet box and I get the same readings - so it's not the outlet itself. There are two sets of neutral/hot wires connected to the outlet. They all give the same reading. I don't know where they go next - everything else in the room works as expected and there are no other improperly functioning outlets in the house. I've tried all the switches in the room and they don't have any effect on the outlet.

When I turn the breaker off, everything goes to 0. Other outlets on the same breaker work fine and give me 120V on my multi-meter.

Any ideas what the next trouble-shooting step would be?

Cheers,

Jesse

Click Faulty electrical socket to continue reading or to reply to this thread that has been posted to our electrical forum, ElectriciansForums.net

Reply to Electrical: Faulty electrical socket in the Electrical Engineering and Electrical Forum area at TilersForums.com

New Threads (Sitewide)

Click here to support the forum/remove ads
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

Use TilersForums.com to find Tiling Jobs or your Local Tilers for free. Get tiling tools at the best prices via the forum.