Discuss Electric UFH and Quartz Tiles Advise needed in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
We are in a process of re-decorating our kitchen - approx 25m2.
For the new kitchen decided to fit Quartz worktops and thinking of putting Quartz tiles 60x60 on the floor to match. The floor is concrete and has been tiled before with Porcelain tiles 45x45, which we removed. Can we use Electric Underfloor Heating with Quartz tiles? Reading on the retailer sites, some quartz tiles seems to be compatible with UFH and some seems are not. Can we get quartz tiles for UFH, any recommendations for brands, retailers?
One concern we have with UFH is, with how much it is going to raise the kitchen floor level as we want to keep it as level as possible with the corridor floor. The concrete floor in the kitchen seems reasonably level ( it was tiled before ).
Any advise is very welcomed?

Kitchen.jpeg

Reaction score
Thanks Dave.

Do I need to use uncoupling matting? Any idea how much the floor level is going to be raised? I might re-consider using quartz tiles if is so problematic or go without UFH.

Dave

TF
Staff member
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Thanks Dave.

Do I need to use uncoupling matting? Any idea how much the floor level is going to be raised? I might re-consider using quartz tiles if is so problematic or go without UFH.
If the screed has no substantial cracking the no matting required without UFH. If you are using UFH then I’d recommend the use of insulation boards. ( min 10mm ).

faceman

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Hi, I'm told it's all about the resin content in the quartz that makes it unsuitable for UFH. Apparently there is different grades but is it really worth the risk. My business colleague has it and I love to point out the lippage on his floor as we are both tilers. He's adamant it wasn't like that when he laid it. As far as your heating is concerned you can get decoupling matting that is 7mm thick that you just insert the cable into and then direct fix the tiles. theunderfloorheatingstore calls it progrid. Might be a good option if you're not good at applying levelling compound. If you want to use it as your primary heat source a 6mm board might help.

Reaction score
Hi, I'm told it's all about the resin content in the quartz that makes it unsuitable for UFH. Apparently there is different grades but is it really worth the risk. My business colleague has it and I love to point out the lippage on his floor as we are both tilers. He's adamant it wasn't like that when he laid it. As far as your heating is concerned you can get decoupling matting that is 7mm thick that you just insert the cable into and then direct fix the tiles. theunderfloorheatingstore calls it progrid. Might be a good option if you're not good at applying levelling compound. If you want to use it as your primary heat source a 6mm board might help.
That is exactly the information I needed. Very helpful and a very good advise for other people to see.
Thank you
Perhaps I would need to get natural stone or porcelain tiles for UFH.

Reply to Electric UFH and Quartz Tiles Advise needed in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks