Discuss Efflorescence in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

ishi69

TF
Reaction score
What's the best product to get rid of some efflorescence. Grouted this bathroom yesterday with weber joint pro silver grey used it many times before with no issues.
d4b7803e-f1e1-5621.jpg

K

kaharrison9

Grey seems to be a bad colour for it for some reason.

I've sponged the grout joints before with plenty of water so the grout changes a darker colour with the moisture then left it to dry back and that has helped considerable.

kev

ishi69

TF
Reaction score
Yeah I've done that myself today and it seems to have got rid of some of it but there's still some there. The customer can't see it but I can. Think the colour of the tiles helps to disguise it.

D

DHTiling

That is polymer leaching and not efflorescence.... you will need to scotch opad the joints with a suitable cleaning agent to remove the polymer residue..

ishi69

TF
Reaction score
That is polymer leaching and not efflorescence.... you will need to scotch opad the joints with a suitable cleaning agent to remove the polymer residue..

Nice one Dave. Just a standard bathroom cleaner or a chemical cleaner ?

P

Peter

What's the best way to prevent this from happening in the first place? Was using a lot of Profix Flexible grey grout specced for a builder that was drying out very patchy. Still have 3 or 4 bags in the garage that I won't use because it's a curse to get looking like anything. Tried with both a very wet sponge and a very dry sponge and both seemed to dry out the same.

D

DHTiling

What's the best way to prevent this from happening in the first place? Was using a lot of Profix Flexible grey grout specced for a builder that was drying out very patchy. Still have 3 or 4 bags in the garage that I won't use because it's a curse to get looking like anything. Tried with both a very wet sponge and a very dry sponge and both seemed to dry out the same.

By leaving the grout to set longer, firm to touch and then you will not soften the grout to causing polymer leaching..

ishi69

TF
Reaction score
I had the same issue with bal super flex charcoal won't use it anymore. This is the is the first time I've had an issue with this, as you say normally it's down the amount of water used when washing off.

D

DHTiling

Nice one Dave. Just a standard bathroom cleaner or a chemical cleaner ?

Quite a few comps will sell products to help.. some grout haze removers work and others will not.. but over wetting and washing off to early is the cause 90% of the time.

ishi69

TF
Reaction score
Quite a few comps will sell products to help.. some grout haze removers work and others will not.. but over wetting and washing off to early is the cause 90% of the time.

Believe it or not Dave this grout was left at least 30 mins before cleaning and I can't see how I could of used any less water. Used it lots n never had issues so it must be something I've done different.

D

DHTiling

Was it firm to touch..? some slow setting groits take quite a while to set up and this can be increased with vitrified biscuits as they don't soak any moisture up..

I like to use ultra colour as it sets quick, just as i like it..

All i can say mate is use a white scotch pad and some élbow grease.. what tile type is it, natural or a looky like..?.. the other way is to re-colour the grout.

P

Peter

By leaving the grout to set longer, firm to touch and then you will not soften the grout to causing polymer leaching..

Always leave it on until it's at it's hardest workable level. Will just give it a by ball in future.

Reply to Efflorescence in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
voltage2688
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks