Discuss Durabase CI & Schluter Ditra Questions in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

W

wetdec

[FONT=&quot]Ok let’s have a little clearing of the decks as regards Durabase CI mat and Schluter Ditra mat.

Durabase CI and Ditra are membranes manufactured to lie between tiles and floor to absorb lateral movement. In simple terms if either of these membranes is installed and the floor beneath moves by expanding or contracting when drying the crack does not travel through to the tiles and wreck the floor.

This allows tiling onto floors susceptible to lateral cracks such as green screeds, wood floors, under floor heating and difficult substrates like bitumen and pitch.

We all know both these products are made by the same company in Germany yes - Good

Durabase CI was exactly the same product as Ditra with the dovetails but a different colour. Schluter went through the process of "it’s our idea" so Durabase was withdrawn and remade to do exactly the same job but is made slightly different.

The differences for the installer :

Ditra mat has to have all its dovetails filled in order for the adhesive to key and be installed properly

Durabase CI has a mesh on its surface to grip the adhesive, the holes are there to accept the adhesive as it wraps around the mesh. This is obviously less of a fiddle as all the dovetails do not have to be filled as with Ditra and so adhesive doesn’t need to be so sloppy.

And Finally of course Durabase CI is yellow not orange

If anyone needs more info then please get in touch and of course there are favourable prices from Wetdecs for forum members.

Cheers

Tiler

[/FONT]

Last edited by a moderator:
W

White Room

Interesting post wetdec and no I did'nt know that both materials were made at the same factory:huh2:

Reaction score
ive used both and i prefer the Varme Durbase mainly as

1 the mesh hold the addy in easier
2 the schluter is the same colour as Wolerhampton wanders colours so i cant use it

B

brundlefly

having used ditra for a fair while, ive come across 2 ways of infilling the doves

1: infill first with addy and leave then come back & tile

2: infill as you go along, skim with back of trowel & then comb tile all in one

or does it matter from a perfomance view, will it hinder perfomance of the matt being layered or Monolithic

Which is recommended (I use no2) although I have been using PCI Pecilastic matt alot recently which requires no infill

W

wetdec

Thanks Dave thought it was time :thumbsup:

having used ditra for a fair while, ive come across 2 ways of infilling the doves

1: infill first with addy and leave then come back & tile

2: infill as you go along, skim with back of trowel & then comb tile all in one

or does it matter from a perfomance view, will it hinder perfomance of the matt being layered or Monolithic

Which is recommended (I use no2) although I have been using PCI Pecilastic matt alot recently which requires no infill

I cant answer for the Ditra but with Durabase its just one process as there is no dovetailing.

Pecilastic is a crack bridging membrane as is Durabase WP mat and Kerdi mat different system and as cant be compared. ( may be worth noteing)

tiler

W

wetdec

For anyone wanting to see how the Durabase CI looks :

Ddurabase_ci_matting.jpg

No dovetails to fill as the mesh takes the fix.

Comes as 25m roll or handy 5 & 10m rolls guys

Anyone wanting a sample to handle pm or email me your address :thumbsup:

tiler

G

grumpygrouter

I can also confrim that filling the dovetails in Ditra (fully) can be a pain in the 'arris.

D

DHTiling

Just had 35mtrs Ditra delivered t/day....would have been nice to try the dura base......next time i will give it a blast.......

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Just bumping this thread. If it's not a current topic then don't worry about it for now. Other threads like this can be found in the main tiling forum. If you do want to reply to it, please do. Your information may add value to somebody reading the forum in the future.

Reply to Durabase CI & Schluter Ditra Questions in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks