Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Drywall T-square or framing square in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

dg-1984

TF
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
I am going to buy one of these to help me sort my walls before tile.
Walls are plasterboard in a new build so are in good condition but can be out of being square so wanting to get them as closer to perfect before I get to the tile.
What one is required and what would be of most use?

Thanks.

D

Dumbo

I've not looked them up. But if your walls are flat in all directions I wouldn't worry about squareness to one another .

Reaction score
Yes, I always get my walls square when re-boarding. Most important on the Bath and shower walls but also worth getting spot on If you have a Basin unit butting up against a wall. I have the old Stanley folding square when it was well made. Before that I would offer up plasterboard with two good edges which works equally as well but more awkward. I don’t know what the cheap folding squares are like but any decent sized square will do the job.
Yeah, a drywall T-Square is no good. There will be a great big gap on one wall. You want something that touches both walls. The T-Squarr is invaluable for plasterboard cutting though.

Bond

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I also have a Stanley folding square, however , you can make your own from offcut timber at any multiple of .3:4:5. Or use a sheet of plasterboard or ply, either full size or cut down.

OP
dg-1984

dg-1984

TF
Reaction score
I bought a framing square from Screwfix was under £8 and seems decent I checked the walls in the toilet I will eventually tile and there is a slight bow in the middle probably about 4-5mm over a length of 1m.
Can I skim the wall to bring it out or am I thinking too much about it?
If I can, would I just use a thin layer of tile https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ and once set and flat then tile as normal?

Albert

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
1565758375409.png
I tend to use these they come in 2 sizes

U

Unused Account 1

90 percent of the walls and floors we do are out ,either old houses or the timber warped ,or bad workman ship ,it will always be the same

OP
dg-1984

dg-1984

TF
Reaction score
90 percent of the walls and floors we do are out ,either old houses or the timber warped ,or bad workman ship ,it will always be the same
So am I best to just add a little extra addy to that area to bring it out the few mm, or best getting it flatter before tile?

This is the one I bought seems good for you the money, also good round external corners.

Reply to Drywall T-square or framing square in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock