Discuss Dry cutting porcelain tiles in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Fraser Tiling

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
I'm fixing about 90 metres of 10mm 800x800 porcelain tiles at the moment, using a Rubi Tx 1200 cutter.
As per usual with large format porcelain, getting clean consistent cuts is very hit and miss.
Decided to change my normal 22mm wheel for a bearinged version to see if that made any difference.
As expected, little changed.
Generally, as a rule I have ever only scored once, some tiles responding better to a light score, others with a heavier score.
Having no decent results with either, i tried scoring 4-5 times with heavy pressure and seem to get much better results.
Just wondering if anyone else is doing the same?

O

One Day

You say that, but seen other posts saying the Sigma is just as inconsistent.
It depends also on the tile. All i can guarantee is that there are far fewer tiles sigma can't cut cleanly than the large rubis.
Only porcelain I've ever been unable to cut cleanly was a glass topped, pillow edged fanal.

A

AndY mac

I know what you mean impish I had a similar glass topped tile on the sigma would not break on the handle only way I could snap it was fisting it on the cutter bed.

S

Saltire69

Use 8mm scoring wheel. its all to do with the cutting wheels. 8mm flat porc, 10mm slightly riven and 18mm for heavier riven tiles.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I always seem to get better results using the 8mm wheel for every tile.

R

Rizzle from the Portizzle

the problem with cutting large format on your knees on the floor is even balance and stress point load stutter for a mirco second and you point load your tile break and it shards off at the point of extra load over stretch and you point load .you need to cut your tile in one even scribe . put your cutter on a bench at waist height and move with the scribe its hard to do on your knees behind the tile but easy when you are level with your tile and can can move with the scribe

O

One Day

the problem with cutting large format on your knees on the floor is even balance and stress point load stutter for a mirco second and you point load your tile break and it shards off at the point of extra load over stretch and you point load .you need to cut your tile in one even scribe . put your cutter on a bench at waist height and move with the scribe its hard to do on your knees behind the tile but easy when you are level with your tile and can can move with the scribe

Absolutely. When we're cutting anything over 600mm it's time to invest in a decent bench.
I use 1 or 2 keter work tables at the moment.

Reply to Dry cutting porcelain tiles in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks