Discuss Tile drilling, hard tile drilling advice in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

C

Concrete guy

Appreciate the link @Waluigi

We have to tread to carefully on the forum when discussing our products as we're not a paying sponsor. So if anyone has any questions I can provide advice but can't openly push (or link in open forum to) our own products.

I can give generic advice about types of bits and the guys here have covered most bases already.

The key with this type of drill bit though (whoever's you buy) is not to apply too much pressure. Unlike drilling timber, metal or masonry where you can lean on it to push through, that will just destroy a diamond drill bit. It's the speed and the diamonds that do the work, just let them go through at the pace they want to.

W

Waluigi

I’ve never used a guide on these bits, just angle the grinder to get it started. Instead of marking a hole with a little circle, I put an actual cross on the wall so you can see where you are

Another good tip is to rotate the bit as you drill.

I have a video of how I drill but can’t upload it.

Reaction score
I’ve never used a guide on these bits, just angle the grinder to get it started. Instead of marking a hole with a little circle, I put an actual cross on the wall so you can see where you are

Another good tip is to rotate the bit as you drill.

I have a video of how I drill but can’t upload it.

like this then

W

WetSaw

@Pro Tiler Tools sell them too.

Angle grinder is definitely the way forward. I tried the Rubi wax filled bits in my drill and thought what have I just wasted €20 on. Put it on a grinder and couldn't believe how fast it got through porcelain.
Buy a grinder, it'll pay for itself on the time you save drilling your first hole!

W

Waluigi

That’s me drilling some pretty hard 10mm Porcelain with vacuum brazed very similar to the type I linked to earlier.

I’ll get 20 to 50 holes per bit I imagine.

W

Waluigi

Yeah, looks like ceramic but I can assure you it’s Porc. If it was ceramic I’d be using the Bosch blue.

One thing we did touch on the other day, the vacuum brazed can sometimes be rough. You’re not going to get a perfectly flawless hole when using the larger diameter bits, for pipes etc for example.

Reaction score
Yeah, looks like ceramic but I can assure you it’s Porc. If it was ceramic I’d be using the Bosch blue.

One thing we did touch on the other day, the vacuum brazed can sometimes be rough. You’re not going to get a perfectly flawless hole when using the larger diameter bits, for pipes etc for example.

yea the glass triangle ones

Reaction score

any examples on how bad

Reply to Tile drilling, hard tile drilling advice in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks