Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Drilling through travertine in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Would a standard tungsten carbide tipped masonry drill bit drill through travertine ok?

I will probably buy the 365drills pack later as I need to make various holes in the tiles.

However, I am hoping that my plumber mate will come and install my towel rail tomorrow so I will need a drill bit now (6 or 8mm I would think), hence the question.

Thanks in advance,

Daz

OP
W

White Room

Being a soft stone they should be ok, don't use the hammer on the drill though

OP
S

SLR

Would a standard tungsten carbide tipped masonry drill bit drill through travertine ok?

I will probably buy the 365drills pack later as I need to make various holes in the tiles.

However, I am hoping that my plumber mate will come and install my towel rail tomorrow so I will need a drill bit now (6 or 8mm I would think), hence the question.

Thanks in advance,

Daz

I have done this quite allot with a good quality masonry drill bit in a combi drill! I wouldn't use an sds hammer drill as the chance of shattering the tile is very high. I start off by putting the drill in normal drill mode (no hammer action) drill until there is a good indent preferably half way through then switch the combi drill to the hammer drill setting and finish off the hole! Just go easy with it and don't push too hard, let the drill bit do the work! I have fitted many different things this way like shelving toilets towel holders and have never had a problem. A combi drill has a very fine hammer action whereas a full blown hammer drill like an sds has a very harsh hammer action and thats the key thing with drilling through any tiles, gentle hammer if needed at all!
Hope this helps!

OP
D

Deleted member 1779

Agreed yes standard masonary bits will work OK into soft travertine.

Dsc07745.jpg

On the right these standard tile drills are up to the job for travertine.

However - Diamond cores will give you a better finish, will last longer and are guaranteed not to break tiles because they grind holes, rather than drill them.

tiledrills.jpg

In the tile above you can see the difference between a hole made using a standard carbide tile drill (A) and a hole drilled using a professional diamond tile drill from 365Drills (B)

Notice that hole (A) is irregular in shape, ragged and the sides have chipped. This is because the hole is formed by chipping away at the tile in a paddle like swathing motion from a centre point.

In hole (B) the diamond core has basically worn away a perfect hole

tile_drill14.jpg

A perfect hole is formed using a diamond core drill from 365drills.

tile_drill12.jpg

The diamond core drill causes a plug to form as it grinds into the tile.

tile_drill13.jpg

A plug formed from using a tile drill made of diamond from 365Drills, Porsadrill

tile_drill16.jpg

In this example the hole at the bottom was formed with a spade drill. The new hole is being formed with a diamond core drill.

kit6mm3.jpg

We have the smaller sizes ready in stock for anyone who needs to drill holes for Fixtures and Fittings.

Reply to Drilling through travertine in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock