Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Drilling sets. in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

D

Drifterjoe

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi Guys,

Advice on drill sets please. I have a set of porsadrill bits and a couple are soon going to need replacing.

I wanted to buy the box set of about 12 pieces that porcadrill make, but doesn't look like theit website works and can't find them anywhere. Have they stopped trading??

ATS and mexco look good???

Is a set of carbide holesaws a waste of time for porcelain?

If you had about £100 to spend what would you get??

OP
F

Flintstone

All ats stuff has been good to me, the ones that go in angle grinders are highly rated, although I've not used them

OP
D

Drifterjoe

Anyone got any reviews of the electro plated bits from ATS? Similar performance and life to porcadrill?

The brazed ones look best but are they worth the extra money?

OP
D

Dumbo

I use Mexco ones from my local retailer and I find them very good . I'm drilling 45 mm hole in 10mm porc in 15 to 20 seconds .

OP
O

One Day

My brazed Sigma hole saws are pretty much as new, very little wear after 50+ holes in porcelain.
I tested a 50mm saw on very tough r9 12mm porcelain and had 70 holes with approx only a third of the diamonds worn away.
Cheap coated chinese ones I can make last 10+ holes with loads of water.

Reaction score
Heard good things about the ATS ones.
Can use with battery drill but need to be kept wet. Someone said to put a bit of sponge in the bit to help lubricate.
They are sooo cheap.
Bout 4 quid for a 35mm bit.
At that price, they can last 2 holes for all I care.

peteablard

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Heard good things about the ATS ones.
Can use with battery drill but need to be kept wet. Someone said to put a bit of sponge in the bit to help lubricate.
They are sooo cheap.
Bout 4 quid for a 35mm bit.
At that price, they can last 2 holes for all I care.
The bigger they are the longer then last, my 115mm has easy done 70-80 holes and is just starting to show signs of wear

Reaction score
Had to buy and use a 50mm electro plated Genesis bit to day, knowing it may only last 4 holes, it tore through porc on 15 seconds.
Been using a Tileasy 35mm dry bit, and have been really struggling.
I know they arent the best, but have limited (no choice) off the shelf availability at my local supplier.
Looking forward to checking out the ATS ones.

OP
S

Stef

ATS hole saws are very good for the price.
Electroplated ones stick a piece of sponge in the core & keep them wet & they will last a while.
I tested the dry cores for Alan & they worked great.
12mm dry core done 32 holes in grade 5 porcs one straight after the other & my arm gave up before the core did.

OP
K

Kevbos

I use a grinder go through back of the tile and tap through front with tapping hammer .perfect holes .no stupid costs or extra space taking tools in way .old methods work

Reply to Drilling sets. in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock