Discuss Drilling new tiles in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Adrian

TF
Reaction score
Hey there,
Just a quick question, when can I drill into new tiles so I can attach my cistern to the wall?
Thank you in advance :thumbsup:

Adrian

TF
Reaction score
Maybe you've got a point Rich, two weeks it is then just to be on the safe side! She'll definitely be climbing the wall by then :lol:

How long can you wait before you can have a shower with new tiles? If that is two weeks as well, this will be my last post :incazzato:

D

Deleted member 1779

I think that the main concern when drilling tiles is the water mess that might get onto fresh grout. So as advised above probably not good to drill when
tiles just grouted. But as soon as the grout goes off then away you go.

guideplate.jpg

Our diamond cores work more like a grinder than a drill so you dont actually disturb the tile too much.
Done this way you can pretty much drill it while the addy is soft if you have to. But we dont recommend you make a thing of it.

professional_builder3.jpg

In this article the basin is being fitted to the wall and the tiles had gone on that day.

I would suggest (for other readers) that if you are going to drill holes in tiles then
try to do it BEFORE you have grouted. This will remove the doubt that water coolant
will wash away soft grout if done too close together.

professional_builder2.jpg

All the donkey work has been done on this job ahead of the grouting.

I think because it was an article photoshoot [ie not a real bathroom!!] then the
basin was fully fitted well before the grouting was done. Not even sure the
guys at Professional Builder even bothered to grout up this demo.

But the point remains that you can pretty much drill as soon as you want
BUT give the addy some time to cure and do it if you can before grouting.

Tiles already grouted? Then wait until it wont absorb and murky water used
to cool the diamond core drills

sponge4.jpg

This video shows how mucky tiles can get when drilling. Again tiles are ungrouted so not spoilt

[video=youtube;F2Hk1eO8rOM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2Hk1eO8rOM&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:
R

Rich

Maybe you've got a point Rich, two weeks it is then just to be on the safe side! She'll definitely be climbing the wall by then :lol:

How long can you wait before you can have a shower with new tiles? If that is two weeks as well, this will be my last post :incazzato:

What grout and adhesive was used? It should say on the bag of grout.

Reply to Drilling new tiles in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alex Carr
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks