Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Drilling a heavy stone resin shower tray using diamond bit in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

W

what

Please checkout the following advertisement.
In need to drill 2x 6mm holes in to accommodate plastic rawl plug and screws which will hold metal blocks to support frame-less glass shower panels. I'm thinking of using a wax cored diamond bit - is that the safest way to go ?

OP
D

dave l and l

i used the bosch multi purpose bit. started with a smaller bit then moved up to a 6mm

Bathfix Bob

TF
Arms
Reaction score
And invalidated the warranty on the tray.... I'm not drilling holes in expensive trays that are all tiled in. I use Clearfix and stick those blocks down.

OP
W

what

Won't the https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ fail and peel off or what ever after a few years long since the plumber has gone?

Chalker

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Some manufacturers shower doors. Especially, the frameless ones, need a positive fixing into the tray.
On a stone resin tray a normal masonry bit will be fine. Put a spot of silicone over the wall plug before screwing down. Whichever way you "might" invalidate the guarantee of the tray if you drill it, or invalidate the screen warranty, if you don't fasten it fully down .
Personally I would fix the screen properly.

OP
W

what

I had a proper look at the instructions with my glasses on. The instructions are purely diagrammatic and it appears that there are two alternatives one using rawl plugs for going into a wet room type of floor I think and one which uses a a thin 2.8mm drill bit which the uses a self tapping screw for fitting on a shower tray. The shower and base where supplied together so i am assuming I can use latter method in my situation.

Reply to Drilling a heavy stone resin shower tray using diamond bit in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
flooringdemand
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock