Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss DPM on top of screed and under tiles in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

EdMac

TF
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
We converted our garage and building control are insisting I install a DPM over the screed (even though the DPM runs under the concrete raft foundation of the house).

I will be tile over the screed so looking for the simplest option. I could get a tin of blackjack and paint that on but it's pretty messy. I tried to talk to building control about the waterprrof properties of Ditra Matting - but they faded away when i started asking questions.

So I'm wondering maybe their is an https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ that acts as a DPM or maybe best to board the floor and treat the board.

The screed is a sand cement mix approx 6:1 and up to 5 inches thick. I've left for a few months to dry properly as I gather it's around 1 day per mm drying time. There are hairline cracks so I am thinking of Ditra Mat even if not accepted as equivalent to a DPM layer.

Ideas welcome.

D

Dumbo

We converted our garage and building control are insisting I install a DPM over the screed (even though the DPM runs under the concrete raft foundation of the house).

I will be tile over the screed so looking for the simplest option. I could get a tin of blackjack and paint that on but it's pretty messy. I tried to talk to building control about the waterprrof properties of Ditra Matting - but they faded away when i started asking questions.

So I'm wondering maybe their is an https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ that acts as a DPM or maybe best to board the floor and treat the board.

The screed is a sand cement mix approx 6:1 and up to 5 inches thick. I've left for a few months to dry properly as I gather it's around 1 day per mm drying time. There are hairline cracks so I am thinking of Ditra Mat even if not accepted as equivalent to a DPM layer.

Ideas welcome.
Black jack cannot withstand the hydroscopic pressure . It will let go of the background . When you did this work did building control not have to sign it of at various stages and therefore check your Dpm .

Boggs

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Not sure why they would ask for this with raft foundations as the dpm should be directly under the screed anyway.

Ajax123

TF
Arms
Reaction score
If there is an operational DPM beneath the concrete you don't need one on top. However to get BC off your back you can use a epoxy DPM and sand scatter it before it sets. Vac up any loose sand once it's set and then tile.

F

Flintstone

If there is an operational DPM beneath the concrete you don't need one on top. However to get BC off your back you can use a epoxy DPM and sand scatter it before it sets. Vac up any loose sand once it's set and then tile.

You can also use prime plus grip over epoxy Dpm

D

Dumbo

I have seen levelling compound let go of epoxy dpm that hasn't been sanded properly . When you sand it you should blind it with sand . What the term blind means is that you can not see the epoxy as it has been totally obscured by the sand covering . Then once the epoxy has set you then Hoover up any excess sand .

Ajax123

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I thought thats what I said

Reply to DPM on top of screed and under tiles in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock