Discuss Dot And Dabbing At Its Best. in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Chalker

TF
Arms
Reaction score
image.jpg
image.jpg
started a bathroom today. The tiles came of easily, wonder why.

S

StevieBoy

How can you tell which ones are the dots, and which are the dabs?

Looks like they started to spread the wall in the second picture, then got fed up with doing that lol.

Still, at least as you say the tiles came off easily. :D

M

mattle40

I love those jobs lol, u get an easy first day and get to show off and educate the customer a little so u look even better. Win win

S

SJPurdy

They started correctly bottom left (pic 2) but then found they needed to add more addy on top of the ribs of addy to keep the tiled surface flat, so then they gave up with the notched trowel. Look at the thickness of the dabs on the wall - if the front of the tiling was flat then the wall definitely isn't. Many, many years ago i'd have done the same (but with more dobs so that they all touched each other when compressed). More recently if the wall was so far out it would be coated with the notched trowel and then more addy would have had to be added to the already back buttered tile to keep the tiled surface flat over the hollows in the wall (I know against BS5385), either that or i'd loose a day (unpaid again) and do the plasterers job for them!

Were the tiles fixed onto the notched trowel bed more difficult to remove than those dot and dabbed? often I find those dot and dabbed are harder to remove.

Crumbs I've just relooked at the pics - one wall is so bad the tiler had to fix tiles in the hollow and then tile over them. I'd definitely would have had to flatten out that one!!! Hope that's allowed for in the retiling price.

S

StevieBoy

.......Crumbs I've just relooked at the pics - one wall is so bad the tiler had to fix tiles in the hollow and then tile over them. I'd definitely would have had to flatten out that one!!! Hope that's allowed for in the retiling price.

I have had literally loads and loads of jobs where I have had to do that over the years - even when the walls have been re-skimmed.

If say on a window wall that the customer wants metal trim around the reveals, you obviously have to keep that wall flat and vertical as the trim won't bend much.

Good way of getting rid of all the off cuts tho.

Chalker

TF
Arms
Reaction score
The best thing was that if any bedding out was to be done. It would have been the bottom of the wall!
They made a wall that was out of level, even more out of level. Probably started off out of plumb, then carried on from there.:D

Might put this refurb into Octobers jotm, if there is one.

Reply to Dot And Dabbing At Its Best. in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks