Discuss Dot and Dab Plasterboard onto painted walls in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

acaciaguy

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Hello all,

I know it's not best practice to tile onto painted walls especially when using large format tiles. My question is this - if you Dot and Dab onto painted walls does this not create a similar issue of the paint being behind the plasterboard adhesive - is this why mechanical fixings are good to use aswell. In the past when faced with a painted wall I tend to go at it with a wirebrush attachment on a grinder.

W

Waluigi

Try to remove as much paint as possible, score it and attack it with a scutch hammer. Then thistle bond it and then dot and dab as normal.

Then, once set, plug and screw it using the XPS board metal washers.

acaciaguy

TF
Arms
Reaction score
thank you :grinning: How long does the thistle bond it take to dry such that it can then be d and d'd? would using battons instead of d and d be acceptable. I use battons when using backer board and space allows

W

Waluigi

Battens would be fine too. Dot and dabbing is quicker and easier to get perfectly flat and Plumb in my experience.

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Wasye of time and money scratching it, thisle bonding it, just dot and dab and screw through the dabs.
If you battened it you wouldnt do all the above, its the same process

acaciaguy

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Many thanks widler. do you think that dot and dab is better than battened? Also do you have to use thistle bond it? It's £60 a tub. If it's the best and does the job then fair enough:grinning:

D

Dumbo

Many thanks widler. do you think that dot and dab is better than battened? Also do you have to use thistle bond it? It's £60 a tub. If it's the best and does the job then fair enough:grinning:
What he is say is you don't thistle bond your battens you mechanically fix . So why not just mechanically fix through the dots. Same process .

W

Waluigi

I think it depends how well fixed you want it. Swings and roundabouts. I like to rely on the bond of the driwall adhesive as well as the screws.

Best practice would be to remove the backing coat of plaster completely and D&D to the brick/block wall IMO. That way the depth is less too

Thistle bond is probably overkill though

Last edited by a moderator:
W

WetSaw

What he is say is you don't thistle bond your battens you mechanically fix . So why not just mechanically fix through the dots. Same process .

I think there's some confusion going on with Thistle Bond ( bonding coat plaster) and Thistle Bond-it ( primer) although I may be wrong...

acaciaguy

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I think it depends how well fixed you want it. Swings and roundabouts. I like to rely on the bond of the driwall adhesive as well as the screws.

Best practice would be to remove the backing coat of plaster completely and D&D to the brick/block wall IMO. That way the depth is less too

Thistle bond is probably overkill though

Is this something that you ever do? Or is that only if the plaster is in a bad way

acaciaguy

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I think there's some confusion going on with Thistle Bond ( bonding coat plaster) and Thistle Bond-it ( primer) although I may be wrong...

I understood us to be talking about bond it - the primer type coating that is painted on.:grinning:

Reply to Dot and Dab Plasterboard onto painted walls in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks