Discuss Does white tile adhesive have relatively weak bonding strength? in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

yhchang

TF
Reaction score
Hi,

Does anyone know why the bonding strength of white tile adhesive is weaker than normal(grey color) tile adhesive?

L

LM

I wonder how your national classifications compare to EN European or BS British standards? Under either of these the colour of the adhesive is irrelevant.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I wouldn't have thought white over grey matters from an adhesion point of view. I think it's less common and more expensive because of extra processes. But I wouldn't have thought those processes to remove and / or add colour change adhesion processes.

yhchang

TF
Reaction score
In my country I heard this from some people in related industry. They said that white tile adhesive is made by white portland cement. And white portland cement strength is weaker than normal(grey) one. I am not sure if this is true.
[automerge]1575510208[/automerge]
It isn't to my knowledge, why do you think it does?
I heard that the strength of white portland cement is weaker than normal(grey) portland cement.

Dhtiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Not sure what adhesive you are using, but most here have a TDS that states bond strength, sheer strength and all other performance properties. I have never noticed there to be a difference due to color.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
No difference between white and grey in terms of bond strength when directly compared under EN standards. There may be some brands that differ from others and some dont conform to EN standards which may be weaker or stronger.

Reply to Does white tile adhesive have relatively weak bonding strength? in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks