Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss does anyone know what terrazzo is grouted with? Resin or normal floor grout in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
I was wondering what terrazzo tiles are grouted with?
Is it normal floor grout
or
is it a resin epoxy grout..

Can anyone tell me?
If its resin where can i get some?

OP
S

sWe

Epoxy resin. No idea where to get the stuff in Britain.

Using terrazzo tiles is one thing, but I want to learn how to mold terrazzo floors on-site :)

It's on my to-do list :)

OP
T

tilelover

with that i gather it comes out white and stays white?
How do they in asda stores would they get that yellow colour they have. It has me baffled.
I cannot find it anywhere.. All i can find it white and grey.
This is why the pros terrazzo fitters get the big bucks

OP
J

jeremy burlton

Hi
terrazzo is normally grouted with a mix of white cement and a pigment colour dye
if the terrazzo is to be polished the grouting will polish in with the tile and blend in with the stone tile to look as if there is no joints.
However if you are laying the stones and grouting as normal. like ceramics you can use any good quality grout ie: ardex c2 is ok.

OP
T

TilingLogistics

I use resins to repair and regrout in most cases. The resins come in 4 base colours and can be coloured accordingly. Modern terrazzo floors are usually installed with a flexible grout like Mapei Ultracolour:thumbsup: Terrazzo needs grinding and honing with diamonds.

Kev

OP
D

davy_G

Im tile over a terrazzo floor. Was a bit worried about the addy adhering properly but advised to use flexi Ardex S38 and a admix as well! Really gooey and sticky. I keyed the floor first as well with my concrete saw, just to be sure!

OP
G

GazTech

The terazzo work on the Morecambe Pavilion Theatre is fantastic, ( grade 2 listed & tiled in 1897)......but the Italian fixer spelled it Morecambe Pavillon...nobody had the heart to correct his spelling :mad2:, suffice to say it is exceptional work....Gaz

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
T

tiling1

snowcrete is used neat to grout terrazzo also in the making with marble chippings added to the mix to make the tiles or form skirting an pannels. grout the whole area and leave to dry the whole area is the diamond polished to remove exess and take any imperfections in the levels out. hope this helps i used to make terrazzo tile by hand many many years ago while training.

OP
R

RockCeramics

just browsing some old posts and found this one of interest.
As a norm of rule terrazzo should only be grouted with cement.
the epoxy resin is only a quick patch repair and should only be used for a temporary repair. There are a few areas where a site ask for any tiles to be laid and resin filled on the same shift, as to keep a low disruption to there stores.:ban:
When grouting terrazzo these tiles should be flood grouted as to allow the tile and grout become 1 so as the grout will grab the tile and hold in one place.
If you use resin (and trust me i have been on a lot of sites and repaired other tile replacements where sub contractors resin fill). when doing this the resin will not completely fill joints and usually only fill 8mm of a joint (remembering a tile is 23mm thick.) then they will grind off and polish a tile this will generate heat and soften the resin ,once the resin has cooled down the resin will shrink and leave a small hair line crack.
Always cement grout and leave for 4 / 5 days before polishing....

Reply to does anyone know what terrazzo is grouted with? Resin or normal floor grout in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock