Discuss Does 22mm ply floor need expansion joint between panels? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

O

ojtiler

Hi,

I have 22mm WBP plywood flooring for my wet-room. The ply is laid in two large panels which meet above (and along) the middle floor joist.

The edge of the panels are about 5mm from the wall (so - room for expansion).

Should I be fitting the panels with a gap in-between, too? (i.e. 2-3mm gap along the joint where the panels meet?). The joist is ~50mm, and I would prefer to keep the panels together (without a gap), simply to provide the widest platform to screw down both of the panels.

I would be very grateful for any advice.....

Many thanks.

I

Ian

You will need the expansion gap, filled with silicone. What are you putting ontop of the ply with regards to waterproofing?

S

Stewart

I leave 5mm between the sheets and then fill with silicone. I then over board with A backer board glued and screwed.
51975085-ad71-07dd.jpg
51975085-ad90-84cb.jpg

Created on iPhone.....

O

ojtiler

Many thanks for the replies and advice....

Is there a specific type of silicone that I should be using to fill the gap? (or is a regular kitchen/bathroom sealant acceptable?)

Bri,
Regarding the waterproofing, I bought an Impey shower former & Impey 'tilesafe membrane' as a combined kit for my project. Impey advise that the membrane can be applied directly onto the plywood floor (after it has been primed). However, having read many other helpful posts on this forum, I can see a lot of advice out there for applying backerboards over the ply before tanking & tiling. As you can see from my earlier post in the Wet-room forum (link below), I've already screwed the plywood down (without a gap!) - and also without any primer on the underside which I now realize is needed to prevent moisture absorption:oops:.

I have therefore decided I will unscrew the plywood, prime it and allow a gap between the panels when I re-fit. Quite a few screws to undo, but much less work than lifting the finished floor in a couple of years if it fails!!:smilewinkgrin:

If I over-board the re-fitted plywood with the backerboard (e.g. Marmox), should I fit the over-boards across the joint in the ply?.... or position the joins in the Marmox directly above the gap in the plywood panels? I would be grateful for your thoughts on that.

Photos of my project and many other (as yet unanswered) questions are in my post below. If anyone has time to read & provide any guidance, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks again....

S

Stewart

The silicone I use for the ply is the cheapest I can get, as it's only purpose is to sop the gap being filled with adhesive.....

Created on iPhone.....

O

ojtiler

Stewart - thanks for the follow-up. That's good to know; I have a couple of tubes of Silicone in my garage which will do nicely, so I'm good to go!:thumbsup:

Reply to Does 22mm ply floor need expansion joint between panels? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks