Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Dodgy laid floor tiles.....dot and dabbed in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi all, I hope i'm asking in the right place!

I am currently doing some work in my kitchen and have ran into a bit of a dilemma.

We had some porcelain 600x600 tiles laid around 9 years ago. I've known for a while some were dot and dabbed in a certain area of the floor by the sound. Looking back I can remember the tiler asking for some extra money for self leveller, I refused as it should have been priced into the job.

Anyway, as I have removed some stud walls and kitchen units to make way for a reconfigured kitchen and I have come across some large voids under the tiles, probably why he needed self leveller.
The tiler has packed out some of the voids with other tiles (from another job!) and left a lot of big gaps underneath some.
I have lifted a few tiles and cleaned them off with ease to be reused where the stud walls were and the cupboard used to be.

Taking the floor up isn't an option as there are stud walls that are staying put and the coverage of the whole floor is large (conservatory, kitchen, dining room and hallway) and I can't risk breaking any. I have managed to get hold of the last few tiles left in the world. This problem is only covering a few square metres and I have access to quite alot of the gaps due to lifting the cut tiles to be filled with the full tiles we have salvaged/acquired.

I am going to use concrete/screed to build up the exposed slab to the level of the other floors.

Is there a product I can use to fill the gaps? Self leveller is an option, but some of the void/gaps are up to 50mm deep.

Sorry about the lengthy post, trying to get as much detail in!

Thanks in advance

OP
W
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply dave, what would be the best way to use the leveller be? Wet mix and let flow into the voids? I've used expanding foam to stop leveler flowing into unwanted areas before now, maybe do the same to build up a sufficient bed?

Reply to Dodgy laid floor tiles.....dot and dabbed in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock