Discuss Do you put tanking kit straight onto Aquapanel? in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

WDavison

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Read in some other forum that some people skim the Aquapanel with tile adhesive then paint the tanking paste on.

I've ot one of the Mapei tanking kits to tank a shower area. Thought you could just paint it onto the Aquapanel initially.

W

Waluigi

Going back about 15 years Bal WP1 changed the spec so that Aquapanel did need a skim coat before tanking. I’m not sure what the Mapei kit would suggest. Mapei tanking doesnt stick particularly well to highly porous surfaces like gypsum skim coat so I’d imagine Aquapanel might need a bit of thought.

Possibly a quick call to Mapei technical. It’ll definitely need priming.

I’d probably use a Tilemaster tanking and prime it. It seems to stick far better than Mapei in my experience. Or a sheet membrane.

WDavison

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Cheers, I think I'll scrap this Mapei kit. Waste of £40! Too many mentions of it not working so well on cement backer boards, and Mapei's tech advice seems to differ it looks like. Some told not to prime, to prime, some told its fine if it peels (eh!).

What would you prime it with if I get the Tilemaster one please? Only used Mapei stuff until recently. Got loads of Primer G and cementone sbr... No bother buying something else though, the tiles are heavy and will do some serious damage if they come away, so needs to be right.

Will be using the Tilemaster standard set stuff, liked it a lot on floor I just did.

WDavison

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Oh I've got some of the Tilemaster prime+grip. That the right stuff or better off buying some with the prime plus?

W

Waluigi

I’m not entirely sure as Tilemaster say you don’t need to prime full stop, however I would use the standard primer on cement board watered down 3 to 1

T

Time's Ran Out

The cement boards I use just need a wipe with a damp sponge!
Why buy aquapanel and then spend money on a surface tanking kit when you can by Devi boards and just tape the joints.

WDavison

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Came down to best price to use this stuff, got it pretty cheap. Wickes had a 3 for 2 plus trade discount on top. Only needed a small portion of it to be waterproof.

W

Waluigi

I much prefer working with Aquapanel than I would the likes of Hardiebacker on walls that’s for sure.

Reply to Do you put tanking kit straight onto Aquapanel? in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks