Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Do I need to attach a baton to tile correctly? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
I've noticed some tutorials for setting up, use a baton attached to the wall one tile space up from the bottom. Tile everything above, then the bottom row at the end.

(Some tutorials don't even bother with a baton, just start from the bottom)

My question is why do tilers use a baton? (What's it's purpose)

I was about to start tile my kitchen this weekend (without a baton) but curious now as to why it's used and if I need to check something first which might indicate if I need to use it or not.

Thanks in advance.

O

One Day

Main reason is floors are usually not level, so it's faster to work off a level datum and then cut to the floor afterwards.
In a perfect world you could tile right up off the floor, but then there's this thing called "builders" who think they can screed and construct floors...:(

W

WetSaw

The baton is to give you a perfectly level surface to start from. Floors aren't always level so if you start with a full tile from a wonky floor you can end up with a whole world of problems. If your floor is perfectly flat and level and starting with a full tile doesn't leave you with a slither at the ceiling you can forget the baton.

Wayne Brown

TF
Arms
Reaction score
A kitchen you will probably be ok without a batten if its behind units the worktop should be level but please check because even a few mm out of level will throw you out over the length of the wall , bathrooms is where a batten comes in handy as you can tile and grout the majority of the room before fitting the bath or other sanitary ware just leaving the cut above the bath this minimises the risk of damage to the bath or shower tray etc like this one I am doing this week . Cheers Kop

20190226_154704.jpg 20190228_154613.jpg

Wayne Brown

TF
Arms
Reaction score
No mate tile down onto the bath with a 2-3mm gap to allow for a neat silicone joint as below, obviously the bath is fixed and silicone in then filled with water when you finally silicone up . kop

20190228_154624.jpg IMG_20190313_120743.jpg IMG_20190313_120719.jpg

Reply to Do I need to attach a baton to tile correctly? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock