Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Do I get chips with that ? in the Tiling Tools - Tile Tools area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Filip

TF
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
I have just been struggling with tiles chipping on a DIY kitchen floor project with 600 x 300 porcelain tiles. Over the past week we have been referring to my table wet saw as "Mr Chippy" I use a Belotta wheel cutter for the 300 cuts and that gives perfect snap cut but its only 500 long so for the 600 and L cuts I have to use Mr Chippy.
I have found that I get on better without the fence. I have tried a new disk - yes its sharper but it didn't help my chips, I have tried pre scoring on some L shapes and cutting to the side of the line but that didn't help. I have tried turning the tile upside down - no help.
Reading @TilingPeter thread I see that a diamond rubbing/ polishing block has been mentioned, is this a hand thing or one that fits an angle grinder.
I have tried and angle grinder with a diamond blade although I did it dry it was no better.
People recommend an angle grinder and wet sponge but how is that better than a wet bench cutter.
My new bench blade was a Norton and under £10 but I am reluctant to spend lots only to find that as had been said by pros on here that "some tiles do just chip whatever you do".
Sorry that was long

Simon Dale

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Get a lot of my blades Cant say lol but there in kent maufacturers for the stone industry mainly but plenty of porcelain blades I use 350mm for wet cutting

OP
F

Filip

TF
Reaction score
Get a lot of my blades Cant say lol but there in kent maufacturers for the stone industry mainly but plenty of porcelain blades I use 350mm for wet cutting
Thats big. My blade is 180mm but odd that people recommend an angle grinder that is only 115mm although I understand quality of blade is a factor.

OP
F

Filip

TF
Reaction score
I am an occasional DIYer and am tempted to buy a high quality blade as I have another job at home coming up but its just that quote from pros on here "some tiles do just chip whatever you do" puts me off shelling out.
Perhaps a 115mm quality blade for my angle grinder and that way it would be cheaper than my bigger wet bench but which one would people recommend.
Also a diamond rubbing/ polishing block has been mentioned, is this a hand thing or one that fits an angle grinder.

O

One Day

Ok, i'll try and explain this as clearly as possible:
To get chip free on a glazed ceramic/porcelain - score a line (using your rail cutter) exactly where you want the cut.
Now using a grinder and decent blade, cut 1mm away from the score line and with the blade going in at a slight angle, so you're effectively cutting underneath the score line.
Once the cut is made, you can easily and safely whizz away the body of the tile, right up to your score line, without chipping the glaze.

OP
F

Filip

TF
Reaction score
Ok, i'll try and explain this as clearly as possible:
To get chip free on a glazed ceramic/porcelain - score a line (using your rail cutter) exactly where you want the cut.
Now using a grinder and decent blade, cut 1mm away from the score line and with the blade going in at a slight angle, so you're effectively cutting underneath the score line.
Once the cut is made, you can easily and safely right up to your score line, without chipping the glaze.
Yep that is what said I have tried and it didn't help - with the caveat of a £10 blade on a wet bench BUT I did not do it at an angle cutting under the score line - is that just so you do not have to take off the full thickness to the line when finishing (whizing.)
and when you say "whizz away the body of the tile," with what am I whizing. and can you point me in the right direction of a decent blade for my angle grinder please.

I

Italy

All the blades with this kind of diamond design, are good. The blade thickness must not exceed 1, 2mm. You'll see it solves the problem. Price, from £13 to £50, only changes the life of the blade.
upload_2018-2-18_7-40-22.jpeg

Reply to Do I get chips with that ? in the Tiling Tools - Tile Tools area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tiling Tools

Find the cheapest price for both professional and DIY wall and floor tiling tools in the UK. Brands such as Rubi, Genesis, Fein, Karl Dahm, isomat, Schluter, Tilemaster and more.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
flooringdemand
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock