Discuss Ditra over SLC over dry UFH for Travertine required to protect SLC? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

I

Indiansandstone

OK - a technical question... probably been asked a lot but here we go...2sqm floor in an ensuite shower-room. 45x30cm travertine tiles to go on floor.

Substructure is 18mm WBP ply (primed on back and sides) onto noggin'd and shuttered floor joists, screwed at 200mm centres.
Then 10mm Marmox backer board glued and mechanically screwed to floor, all joints sealed with marmox's acrylic sealant.
100watt Warmup mat
~5mm of Mapei Ultraplus Renovation screed

This has gone well and I have a fairly flat surface on which to tile - what temperature should i bring the UFH up to before tiling?

I would prefer to tile straight onto the SLC with a solid bed flexi adhesive, the Ditra seems like overkill from a cracking perspective due to the relatively small floor size 1x2m and solid substructure.

BUT I've now read that tanking or putting Ditra or other decoupling membrane under the tiles would be wise to stop the SLC getting too wet... (the shower has a tray, its not onto tile)

I think Ditra could be overkill and unnecessary in terms of cracking, BUT, have read elsewhere that the SLC could be affected by being wet so should it be tanked!?

Advice welcome, cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Ditra over SLC over dry UFH for Travertine required to protect SLC? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
po-tay-toes
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks