Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Ditra membrane confusion in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Jim508

-
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Afternoon all,

I'm currently in the middle of renovating my bathroom and I'm close to tile the floor. I've only ever tiled a floor once and that was just onto a self leveling compound. Considering it's upstairs I've fixed a plywood subfloor down for added strength and flatness but I'm very confused about the https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ for the ditra matting and tile https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/. The only advice I can find mentions modified mortar but is that the same as UK mortar? I've got two bags of S2 ultraflexible https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/, would it be OK to use this under the membrane and also on top? Also, would it be a good idea to seal the plywood with SBR before I lay the membrane?

Many thanks,
Jim

H

hmtiling

Ply isn't the best choice here and to be honest neither is ditra. You could use the s2 to fix the ditra down but it isn't recommended on top of it. I'd overboard the ply with a 6mm cement board and tile to that with the s2

Reaction score
Have you overboarded an existing floor with the ply?

OP
J

Jim508

-
Reaction score
Are you just waiting for the answer you want?
Definitely not, as I said I've never tiled on a wooden floor so I thought best to ask people who know what they're talking about. I watched a few videos online and I only ever saw people use plywood on top of floorboards so I'm unsure what your response was. Would you suggest ripping up the plywood and using the cement board as you suggested?

H

hmtiling

Definitely not, as I said I've never tiled on a wooden floor so I thought best to ask people who know what they're talking about. I watched a few videos online and I only ever saw people use plywood on top of floorboards so I'm unsure what your response was. Would you suggest ripping up the plywood and using the cement board as you suggested?
Sorry. No, leave the ply and use a 6mm cement board instead of the ditra. You'll be 2mm higher than with the ditra. If that's too high remove the ply and just use 6mm cement boards.

Tony_C

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
As Harry has mentioned, I'd have left the ply out the equation and went straight to backer board over the floor boards providing there wasn't much movement

T

Time's Ran Out

Now I would have done the same as the OP!
Strengthened the floorboards with plywood and covered with ditra for an uncoupling membrane and fully waterproofed subfloor.

Reaction score
Not sure why the ditra isn’t a good add. I agree the cement board is far better than ply. If it’s an option I would remove the floorboards and place a 22mm cement board down and then ditra and tile. Thoughts?

Reply to Ditra membrane confusion in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock