Discuss Ditra matting setting in the Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Bopster

Active TF Member
hi guys, kitchen I’m installing next week is now having an overlay ufh system installed by others but tiled by me. Simple question really, I’m going to use ditra matting onto the overlay boards then porcelain tiles. Do I set the matting in flex adhesive then leave to set before laying tiles or can I tile straight onto matting soon as it’s laid?

OP
Bopster

Bopster

Active TF Member
I’m waiting that answer myself from the plumber who’s doing it, all I know at present is it’s overlay system with 18mm gypsum boards.
I have a solfex overlay in my own house and was recommended to use ditra even though they state it can be tiled directly.
Tiles are 600 x 600 10mm porcelain.

Localtiler

Trusted Advisor
Professional Tiler
JOTM Winner
There's your first issue, there made of gypsum so if any adhesive is going onto those boards it needs to be gypsum adhesive or a barrier created with primer. I'd find out what it is and how it's been fitted and go from there, dont take the plumbers word for it!

hmtiling

Trusted Advisor
Professional Tiler
JOTM Winner
As Andy says. Once primed or gypsum adhesive used I'd wait for ditra to be set as when you need to lift a tile the bond between the ditra and floor can be broken

Andystiletiling

Trusted Advisor
Professional Tiler
JOTM Winner
If its the polypipe system I have a job starting next week with same, will be priming twice, once with 3-1 and once with 1-1 then installing ci mat with cement adhesive and tiling straight away..