Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Ditra matting and tiles cracking a year later in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

United States of America
R

Rodney Rohde

Please checkout the following advertisement.
We had tile installed in January of 2018. The installer put Ditra down. The grout stated to crack and come out a few months after installation. Other tiles move. Is this caused by the Ditra? Or some other reason?

OP
D

Dumbo

Some other reason , think about if it it was caused by ditra why would any body use it .
What is the background . Ie timber, heated screed , and what are the tiles .

Boggs

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Is this on a timber substrate?

Balloo

TF
Arms
Reaction score
This may not be the reason but you might want to lift some of the tile and investigate what is going on underneath .
It possible could be dot and dab procedure .

OP
W

White Room

I'd want to know what https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ was used for starters

OP
D

Diane Underwood

New tile floor on Ditra membrane. A wine glass, knife, IPad mini and a butter plate have all cracked tiles. Nothing heavy. It is not localized to one area but the tiles were in different areas of the kitchen. Why are the tiles cracking so easily from such light force?

eddcottee

Arms
Reaction score
New tile floor on Ditra membrane. A wine glass, knife, IPad mini and a butter plate have all cracked tiles. Nothing heavy. It is not localized to one area but the tiles were in different areas of the kitchen. Why are the tiles cracking so easily from such light force?
Dropping a wine glass won't crack a tile. How big is the glass?!! If you have dropped things like that and cracked tiles, I'm really surprised. If the tiles have been "dot and dabbed" rather than receiving a full bed of https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ as they should, they will be likely to crack if any pressure is applied to them. How long have they been down for and do you know whether they were fitted with a full bed of https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ or not?

OP
M

Mike L

I am a contractor and stopped using ditra mat 15 years ago. It’s terrible, tiles move and grout cracks. Tar paper and wire lath works better. For a more up to date solution use Laticrete 9235

Reply to Ditra matting and tiles cracking a year later in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
flooringdemand
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock