Discuss Dissolve Adhesive? in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

talerco

TF
Reaction score
We have 12X12 tiles, 30 years old. We need to replace a few broken ones.
Years ago we removed some concrete steps with these tiles attached..and saved just in case. Now trying to remove tiles from 8 inches of concrete with tiles on top.
White adhesive maybe 1/16 thick.
I soaked in a tub of water overnight and it MIGHT have been a little easier to chip a tiny piece of the adhesive with a knife but it is not at all soft or giving.
Any ideas on what might get these loose?
Thanks!

L

LM

We have 12X12 tiles, 30 years old. We need to replace a few broken ones.
Years ago we removed some concrete steps with these tiles attached..and saved just in case. Now trying to remove tiles from 8 inches of concrete with tiles on top.
White adhesive maybe 1/16 thick.
I soaked in a tub of water overnight and it MIGHT have been a little easier to chip a tiny piece of the adhesive with a knife but it is not at all soft or giving.
Any ideas on what might get these loose?
Thanks!
Do you know if the tiles are porcelain or ceramic?

talerco

TF
Reaction score
Thanks. 12 inch reach is tough. Going to try a hack saw - hopefully can get between tile and cement.
Any hope paint thinner or similar would loosen adhesive if soaked?

Bond

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Reciprocating saw may help, blades available to about 9”, not going to be easy for sure.
Also , removing the grout first, will help with tile removal.

Last edited:

Reply to Dissolve Adhesive? in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
andymtl24
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks