Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Difficult substrate in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi Everyone,

I am floor screeder/plasterer.From tiime to time I take on jobs which require difficult and uneven substrates to be prepared for tilers.

I have looked at a job today which requires a liquid DPM and a latex over that will cover from 8 to 45 mm. I have found the Mira Xplan to be a good product to work with and has given us good results in the past. I was wondering if any one has laid this over a Thoro Seal DPM, and if there are any likely compatability issues.

Any comment/advise greatly welcome.

Thanks in advance

Mark

Read more: http://www.tilersforums.com/tiling-forum/60779-mira-xplan-over-thoro-seal-dpm.html#ixzz20pEuvVag

Ajax123

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Not sure about the Mira but when you have such big differences in depth you often get issues with differential shrinkage and settlement leading to high risks of cracking. Sometimes in these situations it is better to use a gypsum based smoothing compound as these tend to be more dimensionally stable than their cement based counterparts. Uzis are particularly good for these types of compounds but there are loads of them about weber, forbo, pci amongst others.

As for liquid dpms there re simply loads to choose from but again where there are massive depth gradients it is best to use a two coat system with a sand scatter innthe second coat to provide a good mechanical key. I have found Merlon Barrier coat to be good for this and very cost effective.

Ajax123

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Contact ardit off their website. A rep will spec it up for you

So will any of the reputable manufacturers of smoothing compounds. Issue with ardex is no gypsum based compounds available but if you prefer cement then there are dozens to choose from.

Diamond Pool Finishers

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
i have laid screed over Thoro Seal DPM ,loads of times in swimming pool situations , you coat it twice then we lay onto of the second coat while it is still wet ,we have never had any problems .........

Ajax123

TF
Arms
Reaction score
i have laid screed over Thoro Seal DPM ,loads of times in swimming pool situations , you coat it twice then we lay onto of the second coat while it is still wet ,we have never had any problems .........

That sorts that bit out then :)

Reply to Difficult substrate in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock