Discuss Diamond / 45 degree floor pattern in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

padtheplumber

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Hi guys, im tiling a kitchen / dining room floor for my sister in a couple of weeks (15sq metres - cheap b&q cirque tiles:thumbsdown:). Shes's asked today if I can do it in a diamond pattern, which is something I've not done before. My question to you guys, who may have more experience in this, is does it take any longer to do? I'm aware it may be a little more awkward to set out, but I've got it in my head that the cuts may take longer to do or be harder to work out - is this right or am I just overthinking it? I'm doing the job for next to nothing obviously as its family, but I'm wondering whether to allow a bit more time to complete, as I've got lots of my own work on and I don't want to have to put customers back because of it - what do you reckon? Many thanks, Mart.:thumbsup:

Q

Qwerty

In short, yes it may take you slightly longer if you have little tiling experience but think of the main field tiles as a standard square set but at an angle (if that makes any sense?). Take your time setting out and you will be just fine

C

charlie1

You would be quicker doing the inner tiler in 45 degree then framing off straight at the perimeter, hope you follow. Client will obviously need to make decision but Imo, it does look nicer

D

DHTiling

I am with Charlie... use a half tile around the perimeter of the room and then cut the diamond pattern to this.. so it frames the inset pattern..

B

bugs183

Find out how you want the setting out to work.
String a line down the whole length room where the points of the tiles will run (does this make sense), lay a stretch down the length of the room following the string line. This will keep each side of the room nice and square with the other. Then work outwards from the middles in a diamond shape, checking the tiles with a long straight edge, it is easy with a diagonal floor for tiles to creep as your eye is looking at the room differently.
Certainly allow for extra cutting and waste. Removal of the skirting boards will make the job much easier for cuts. Once laid put the skirtings back and it will look much neater.

padtheplumber

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice gents - much appreciated. I like the idea of framing the room, but with 3 doorways and an U-shaped kitchen it might not look right but I'll draw a few plans up and see how it looks on paper. I do quite a lot of tiling - 70% of my work is bathroom refurbishments - I think I've just got to get my head twisted by 45 degrees to make it make sense!! Bugs183, that was my instinct on setting out - nice to have it confirmed though, thanks for the replies everyone, Mart. :thumbsup:

padtheplumber

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Hi guys, just wanted to share this job with you as you gave me some advice to get on with it. I decided to go for the framing effect - after a fair bit of moving tiles around dry I found a layout that worked so here are a few pics of the progress. I've centred the pattern around 3/4 standard tile from the kitchen units and followed that line through the dining area and it looks really effective. thanks again for the advice, the customer (my sister) is well chuffed with the result - and shes had plenty of nice remarks from her friends about her new floor :thumbsup:
1371561545092.jpg 1372095084237.jpg 1372146161411.jpg 2013-06-24 18.32.06.jpg 1372177319499.jpg 1372177336468.jpg

padtheplumber

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Cheers chaps, I'll get a couple of pics next time I go round, my brother in law is doing the kitchen himself (with a bit of help and lots of advice!) he's not quite finished yet (3 weeks later) but he's getting there!

Reply to Diamond / 45 degree floor pattern in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks