Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Desperately in need of some advice in relation to porous tiles in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Thanks for taking your time to read through this and really appreciate the support!

So me and my partner recently purchased a 300 year old house with no DPC running underneath the walls. We also reside in an intrinsically humid island so humidity is somewhat of an issue in the house. The entire house is built on a base of silt, as is the case with other old houses in my country.

We recently decided to change the tiles of a 280 sq ft room from an ugly ceramic to travertine so we went through the hassle of removing the old floor, removing a 6-8cm layer of silt, applying a 6-8cm concrete screed and finally waterproof membrane. The membrane was applied in line with the guidance from the travertine supplier who explained that it is critical in order to stop the travertine (which is inherently porous) from absorbing water and staining. The travertine, which has already been delivered, is honed, filled and of good quality. I should add that there is no membrane (DPC or otherwise) between the silt and the screed - this may be somewhat of a mistake from my end.

I recently tried placing a few tiles around the room without glue or anything. Woke up the following day and while tidying up, I noticed a dark patch in the membrane just where the travertine tile was. I was shocked and I tried placing a couple more around the room. Woke up the next day and found the same thing.

I was thinking of ripping out the screed (which btw, has electrical conduits laid in it) and installing a DPC between the silt and the new screed. I ran some tests before making a final decision with some interesting results. I taped a piece of plastic on the waterproofed screed surface and closed the edges off with some bricks to ensure its sealed. Left this overnight and was surprised to find that everything was dry when I removed the plastic. I also tried placing a non-porous tile on the floor and also observed a dark patch on the waterproofed screed. I'm starting to think that the issue isn't rising damp after all but rather simple condensation due to difference in temperatures between tile and floor.

Any ideas? Image album below

View: https://imgur.com/a/B4w1nt6

OP
A
Reaction score
:)
How long has the screed been down.
Thanks for your reply.

The screen has been laid for 1.5 months now. However we were misguided and received instructions to apply the liquid membrane the day after.

The day after we applied the liquid membrane we found puddles laying on the screed!

Bond

TF
Arms
Reaction score

Any help anyone please?
It may be down to humidity ,you say the island has a humidity problems. Placing the tile over the waterproof concrete which-prevents air flow over the surface, creating a cold spot, resulting in condensation. Or , some waterproofing membranes are waterproof yet vapour permeable, (allow moisture to evaporate through). Don’t know what’s been used, perhaps it would have been a better to have placed the damp proof membrane below the concrete on an insulated slab and around the perimeter of the room.

Reaction score
A late reply, but it's a simple mistake:
No DPM installed after excavation. It's the very first thing that should have been done after drainage measures.

Reply to Desperately in need of some advice in relation to porous tiles in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock