Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Desperate for information re: pesticide impregnated terra cotta floor in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

wendy

-
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
My Mexican terra cotta floor about forty years old and sealed in only a few small areas, was sprayed with FICHA TÉCNICA TERMIDEL 48 CE : clorpirifos (originally Dow) manufactured by Delta by a very unprofessional exterminator. The product, banned in the US for over twenty years, has an odor that endures for decades. The floor needs to be sealed to lock in the odor of the spray. Someone suggested linseed oil, but I can't imagine that would be strong enough. I prefer to use the least chemical compound possible because the house is currently unliveable. Any advice? I live in San Miguel de Allende, Mexico and many things are not available. Thanks. Wendy

Albert

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
My Mexican terra cotta floor about forty years old and sealed in only a few small areas, was sprayed with FICHA TÉCNICA TERMIDEL 48 CE : clorpirifos (originally Dow) manufactured by Delta by a very unprofessional exterminator. The product, banned in the US for over twenty years, has an odor that endures for decades. The floor needs to be sealed to lock in the odor of the spray. Someone suggested linseed oil, but I can't imagine that would be strong enough. I prefer to use the least chemical compound possible because the house is currently unliveable. Any advice? I live in San Miguel de Allende, Mexico and many things are not available. Thanks. Wendy
Give the linseed oil a try, use it in a cupboard or small confined area. That way you should be able to tell if it is working.

T

Time's Ran Out

Boiled linseed oil : -
1st coat mix 50:50 with white spirit.
2nd coat 100% boiled linseed oil.
Don’t leave any excess on surface after 15 mins.
Try on small area as Albert above, and throw away rags carefully after use (flammable!).

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting here. I holidayed in Mexico. Beautiful country. Want to go back there when I have the time. Have a taxi friend there now. He always speaks on WhatsApp.

D

Dumbo

Boiled linseed oil : -
1st coat mix 50:50 with white spirit.
2nd coat 100% boiled linseed oil.
Don’t leave any excess on surface after 15 mins.
Try on small area as Albert above, and throw away rags carefully after use (flammable!).
I actually don't throw mine away, I burn them so i have control over the burning

OP
W

wendy

-
Reaction score
If it doesn't work, can I still use a water based sealer after, or won't it adhere? I need to keep my options open. And what about water based sealers? How ae they in terms of gas off? In all honesty, I am quite a novice? But I can't live in my home, so it's quite serious.

T

Time's Ran Out

If it’s 40 years old , only been sealed in a few places and has now got some banned substance that makes your house uninhabitable then I’d possibly suggest either suing your unprofessional terminator ( unless it’s Arnold), taking the lot up or moving!
Not much else to add really.
Good luck.

OP
W

wendy

-
Reaction score
Not too helpful, but I kind of feel the same way at the moment. I have been told the right sealer can set us straight. I have to be sure the cure isn't as bad or worse than the cause.

Reply to Desperate for information re: pesticide impregnated terra cotta floor in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock