Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Decoupling requirment? in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
HiI am tile the floor of a wet room/bathroom with 457x305x10mm Limestone. The base is currently 18mm chipboard (screwed down) on 1st floor joists. The area is T-shaped - 3.4 x 1.8m with a 0.6 x 1.8 spine running between the bath and 1500x1500 Fundo Wedi tray. This tray is recessed to the joists (18mm plywood base and sump PVA'd) leaving a 25mm step once fixed with 3mm cement based https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/.I intended to insulate with 10mm insulation board on top of 4mm ply (screwed down) and then screw down 11mm marmox to level the floor with the Fundo tray and provide tanked base (also tanking walls with marmox).So the question - I read in this forum that a decoupling mat takes out lateral movement of the wooden floor. So inlight of the fact that I have a laminated sub surface and marmox top (prior to UFH and tile) do I need a decoupling mat, which I assume goes on top of the marmox and doing away with the 4mm ply so that I can maintain a level.I hope that all makes sense - happy to clarify if not.Many thanksJack

OP
R

Rich

Hi mate,

Im not to sure what you are planning to do with the 4mm ply. If the floor is chipboard (and in good nick) then my advice would be to screw it down as much as possible to remove any deflection and then over board with a backer board. Tile backer boards come in many different formats so I would imagine that you will be able to find a board at the right thickness. If not you would be better off raising the height of the floor slightly with a suitable SLC rather than mixing to many materials. And if cost will allow it, I would use a decoupler as well :thumbsup:

OP
J

jackrussell31

Thanks Rich - the 4 mm ply was a space filler along with 10mm insulation soard to bring the rest of the floor up to the same height as the Wedi tray - got to fill 25mm (wedi tray 40 + https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ 3 - chipboard recess 18). I already have 11mmm Marmox backer board hence the requirment to backfill with insulation & ply (10 +4). I want to do this properly as laying Limestone so happy to use decoupler. Forgive the dumb question but I assume the decoupler goes on top of the Marmox backer board - that way I wont need the 4mm ply filler. Cheers Jack

PS - the P5 chipbaord is getting tatty from being lifted to insulate between rafters so intended to replace with 18mm ply and PVA before laying the 10mm insulation board and 11mm marmox on top.

OP
R

Rich

If you have the PVA ready, throw it out. It is no good for tile at all. I wouldn't use the 4mm ply, you will be adding a layer that is really unstable. The decoupler can go over the marmox boards. As said above if you are still to low then you will be much better using a self leveling compound to bring the height of the floor up :thumbsup:

OP
D

DHTiling

Don't forget best prices in the internet for Dural CI+ uncoupling/waterproofing membrane.

phgwetrooms.jpg

OP
J

jackrussell31

Many thanks Rich - will use a primer and decoupling mat. Appreciate your help all.

Jack

Reply to Decoupling requirment? in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock