Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Cutting Wickes Everest Slate Porcelain Tiles in the General Chat Forum | Tilers Talk area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

JSmith1

TF
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi All,

I have been a long time reader of this forum and it has already helped me a lot, so thanks to you all for that.

I have recently started replacing my bathroom, it's been going fine so far, but I've just come across a problem with the tile that I hope you could help me with.

We ended up going with the Wickes Everest Slate porcelain tiles (Wickes Everest Slate Porcelain Tile 600 x 300mm | Wickes.co.uk - https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Everest-Slate-Porcelain-Tile-600-x-300mm/p/147442) and the tiles already on the wall look great. I am at the point now where I need to start cutting some of them down, however this is the problem...

I have tried cutting the tiles with two different wet saws with two different blades and also tried a score and snap cutter (Rubi Practic 60), however on each cut I am getting severe chips on the cut edge that make the tile unusable.

I was hoping someone here could offer some advice to help me, as I'm pretty stuck at the moment.

Thanks very much in advance for any advice - it's much appreciated.

(Tile on black background is the one cut with the Rubi, other one cut with wet cutter)

20190330_135702.jpg 20190330_135810.jpg

D

Dumbo

We have had lots of people come on with cutting problems with this tile .
You could try scoring the tile then cutting along side the score Mark with the wet cutter . If it chipping as you score it you could try scoring lightly to see if this improves .

B

Blunt Tool

You could tidy up the cut edges with a diamond pad, a better manual tile cutter would give you much better results, see if you can hire one at local tile shops

OP
J

JSmith1

TF
Reaction score
Thanks both, I am just concerned that even scoring the tiles was causing the tile to chip along the score line. I did try scoring it with less pressure, but it was then impossible to snap the tile, and when it did snap it wasn't clean along the score and on one occasion it completely shattered the tile.

Do you think I will have any more luck with a different manual cutter such as the Big Clinker 2? Or will I have more success with the score then wet cut?

I am thinking that I will probably have the same issue on any manual cutter...

Cheers

B

Blunt Tool

Cheers, I was thinking about buying a Sigma for a few projects then selling it on after.

Is the 3C2 the right one for my needs? I have seen the 3C3M mentioned a lot, is this much better and worth the extra cost?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sigma-6054...a+tile+cutter&qid=1554039899&s=gateway&sr=8-4
The 3C3M is the one to get, Sam from @Pro Tiler Tools will help you , it will be easy to sell on later and you will still get good money for it. You can sell it on here.

OP
J

JSmith1

TF
Reaction score
The 3C3M is the one to get, Sam from @Pro Tiler Tools will help you , it will be easy to sell on later and you will still get good money for it. You can sell it on here.
OK great, thanks I will look into that. I can't really find much info out regarding the differences between the 3c3m and the 3c2. Do you know what they are?

O

On one

Out of interest who manufactures this tile?
And don't say Wickeso_Oo_Oo_O......could be manufacturers name imprinted on the back(Johnsons?)

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Out of interest who manufactures this tile?
And don't say Wickeso_Oo_Oo_O......could be manufacturers name imprinted on the back(Johnsons?)
Wickes....:)

I don't know, but they need shooting !

Imo there over fired, and extremely brittle.
I tiled a bathroom with them, width cuts were ok, Length cuts I had to use a wet cutter for everyone.

IMG_20190331_212458.jpg

O

On one

Wickes....:)

I don't know, but they need shooting !

Imo there over fired, and extremely brittle.
I tiled a bathroom with them, width cuts were ok, Length cuts I had to use a wet cutter for everyone.

View attachment 105908
The ones I was having trouble with a couple of weeks ago were very similar.
I ended up turning them over and scoring the backs and snapping.......worked a treat every time.....logic says it shouldn't/couldn't work,but it did.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Scribe these and they just keep running off line at the end.....
Light pressure, light scribe, hard scribe, 10 scribes, tap it, bang it...... didn't make a blind bit of difference...

B

Blunt Tool

OK great, thanks I will look into that. I can't really find much info out regarding the differences between the 3c3m and the 3c2. Do you know what they are?
3C2 pull to score, 3C3M push to score plus more breaking power hence the M at end for max

Reply to Cutting Wickes Everest Slate Porcelain Tiles in the General Chat Forum | Tilers Talk area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock