Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Cutting in 140mm shower rough in box - any advice? in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

A

AlexJones

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi Guys

Needed some advice on cutting in my Grohe Raipdo rough in smart box which essentially is the back box for the front end shower valve controls that sits on the finished tiled surface.

The box is actually circular with a 138mm radius and it sits behind the tiles and when laying the tiles you need to cut in a hole between 138-142mm, trim the box so it’s flush with the tiles and then lay the Grohe smart control plate on top.

The problem I’m having is sourcing a 140mm tile hole saw to cut into tiles. I have found one one amazon but it needs a tile guide and cannot find tile guides that accept 140mm hole saws. I also found another hole saw on a web site called Starrett which is a Diamond Ceramic and Abrasive Material Hole Saw but is around £140 when you buy the arbour.

Has anyone installed these type of rough in boxes and can advise best approach with marking where to cut and where to source large hole saws for porcelain.

Thanks

Alex

OP
O

Old Mod

Once your back box is mounted in to the wall make a template out of 6mm ply so the template sits against something solid like the wall or floor. Lay your tiles out dry on a table how they’re going sit in wall and place template over the top and mark your hole. Use your template as the guide for your hole cutter.
Something like this.
A3F39060-E7A2-4559-89F6-F2E8F62F1081.jpeg
If you want a bit to drill it in one, yes it’ll be expensive, it’s 15mm bigger than our more common 125mm
You could contact @Pro Tiler Tools one of our sponsors and see if they have access to one.
Or you can do it with an angle grinder and diamond blade if you’re confident using one.

OP
Q

Qwerty

Just lay tiles as far as you can and then measure where you need to cut and use an angle grinder with a small Squadro blade. It cuts that radius perfectly.

OP
O

Old Mod

I think sometimes we loose sight of the fact that the majority of questions originate from diy’ers looking for a foolproof way of achieving the result they want, and not 20-30yr fitters.
#justsayin! :)

OP
I

Italy

they are all valid procedures, but valid only for certain tiles.
the difference lies only in the format and type of tile.

OP
B

Bill

Could start off with my Lockboy and hammer.... then a set of tile nippers especially with the thin tiles.

OP
D

Dumbo

I remember rotating s tile while it was in my ts 40 to score a circle prior to pie cutting it on tile saw with no guard . Not much chance of that nowadays

Reply to Cutting in 140mm shower rough in box - any advice? in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock