Discuss Cutting 30mm thick slate in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi looking for advise I've got 2 sections of 1200mm X 900mm 30mm slate for a double sided fireplace I'm making I have a 9" angle grinder what's the best blade for cutting these I have a Makita angle grinder I just got 240v 230mm which comes with a segmented blade

IMG_20181111_161504.jpg

J

J Sid

it is possible wth a grinder but will need to keep blade wet and cool.
you best option would be to take it to your local stone/marble worktop outlet and ask them, normally very helpful.

Reaction score
Guess I'll try the worktop places see if they can cut it for me also Tom that's not very helpful unless you're offering to come cut It haha things are 60+ kg

C

Concrete guy

Segmented will create a lot of breakout on slate, you'll need a fine turbo blade to give a clean cut.

Sometimes it can help to cut in two or three passes, it really depends if it's a dense slate or friable.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Cutting 30mm thick slate in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks