Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Customer Vs Trade Dispute - Natural Stone Tiles in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi all,

I understand that BS5385 suggests:

Variation across Joints:
±1mm for joints less than 6mm wide
±2mm for joint 6mm or more wide

However, what are the guidelines for natural stone tiles, i.e. travertine limestone which are 610mm long, 406mm wide and 12mm thick, with a joint of 2mm between tiles?

I would have though the guidelines would be different since natural stone is not even in depth across the whole tile.

I have a customer who found the BS5385 spec on google and is now trying to use it as an excuse for not paying. In fact he is threatening to take me to court for the costs of rectifying the job.

I tiled the gentlemen’s conservatory floor with this natural stone, 20 square foot worth and only one or two of the tiles have a variation of about 2 mm.’s

thanks

OP
D

DHTiling

You cannot find BS5385 in google but you will get snippets of certain requirements from it..

Is it travertine or limestone..? and what finish is it.. honed or polished, maybe even brushed..?

OP
M

mikethetile

should be able to get the floor re honed but I will leave that with the stone experts as I have little experiance with stone

OP
D

DHTiling

You can sand the stone down in these area's quite easily..

Wet and dry sand paper and a sanding block, start with 50 grit till down to height and then work up in grades till around 400 grit and feather it back into surrounding tiles... this will remove the lippage and hopefully get you a happy customer.:thumbsup:

OP
T

templar018080

Thanks, I had the same thought process and even offered someone else's skills to do a sanding job, but the customer was not happy with a sanding solution. The customer wants to have the floor re-tiled which I have told him is ridiculous.

After a few weeks elapsed the customer has sent me a letter saying i had the opportunity to rectify the job and now wants to put in a claim against me for re-tile the whole floor!!!

OP
S

Scott

As long as the customer give you the opportunity to do it. I think from previous reading he has to give you the chance to put it right?

OP
D

DHTiling

That is ridiculous..:mad2:

A couple tiles with lippage can just be replaced if sanding is not an option and the customer is being well OTT ..

Send a letter stating how you can rectify the floor.. send it recorded delivery so you have a record of events.

That customer does not have a leg to stand on for a re-tile through the courts..

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks, I had the same thought process and even offered someone else's skills to do a sanding job, but the customer was not happy with a sanding solution. The customer wants to have the floor re-tiled which I have told him is ridiculous.

After a few weeks elapsed the customer has sent me a letter saying i had the opportunity to rectify the job and now wants to put in a claim against me for re-tile the whole floor!!!
He wouldn't have a leg to stand on in court. In fact, from what it sound like, you would actually have the better case.

If you suggest a fix, and the customer doesn't accept, it's their fault the floor is still like it is in some sense. To rip the floor up and re-tile it which could end up with even more lippage isn't the best solution for either side of the argument.

I'd say to him "I'm coming monday to fix the floor" and then just turn up and do it.

OP
M

mikethetile

you only need to rectify the faults

write back to them using registered post to tell your customer you are sending someone to rectify the problem

give them 3 dates to choose from and say if they are not conveniant which date do they suggest

you dont need to go into details just state that the lippage will be removed

this will stop their claim in its tracks and prevent them from going to court unless they give you the oppurtunity to rectify and you fail to do so

OP
T

templar018080

I agree Scottley, I told the customer I would do the sanding, but he never gave me the opportunity as the customer only wanted me to relay the floor to which i said no of course.

Reply to Customer Vs Trade Dispute - Natural Stone Tiles in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock