Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Crunchy Victorian tiles in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

C

Clubster

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hello all,

I had my hallway floor installes by a builder 3 years ago, dug out, underfloor heating and victorian tiles laid. Now they are crunching underneath in a part where the underfloor heating is (its not all the way underneath). No signs of cracking or lifting yet.

Ive found this thread on the forum:
Crunchy Edwardian Tiled Floor - http://www.tilersforums.com/threads/crunchy-edwardian-tiled-floor.79750/

So two questions if you could help please:
Is ardion 90 mix my best bet as per above thread?
Given the whole floor was installed by one builder, do I have any reason to speak to him about installation issues?

Thanks

OP
J

J Sid

yes your first port of call should be your builder, once you start trying to put it right he probably wouldn't help you.

to help us get to the bottom of the problem what is the ufhing, electric or water?

any pics are good

OP
W

WetSaw

I ,unfortunately, doubt that after 3 years the builder would do anything unless you have some form of written guarantee, I'd be happy to be proved wrong though.

OP
C

Clubster

The underfloor heating is water.

My line of thought is the same re the builder..

Picture attached hopefully.

20170109_190724.jpg

OP
C

Clubster

Actually yes but thats not the reason, ongoing, very slow, decorating.

The flood was from that door you can see and settled in a room at the top of the picture, as the floor is lower.

OP
C

Clubster

Im not, I hadnt considered it tbh.... thought I had got off lightly from it...

I meant flood is not the reason for no skirting boards...

If flooding is the possible cause would the ardion 90 mix treatment still be my best bet?

OP
T

Time's Ran Out

Ok - depending on what https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ was used and when the UFH was put on to dry it out, I'd suggest the crunching is the substrate breaking up!
Insurance job.
If it's likely to happen again a fully waterproof https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ should be considered.

OP
C

Clubster

The crunching is only in the part where the floor warms first (so far). Flooding was over 18 months ago. Dehumidifier was on straight to dry out the lower floor

OP
T

Time's Ran Out

It can take 10 months to dry out with dehumidifier before you can tile on a flooded area and if the water got under the tiles after they were installed it will have released the bond.
Not your builders issue but you should contact your insurance company as it was obviously something that has come to light since loss adjusters report!

OP
F

Flintstone

I'm quite amazed that you thought of that tj!
Almost certainly the cause, how come you didn't mention that in the first post ?

OP
C

Clubster

The flood was from the water softener and affected two rooms. Hallway and lounge. Their wasn't much water in the hallway, about an inch in the lounge.

Just realised the insurers don't know I had a flood 2yrs ago I never claimed for anything...

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Crunchy Victorian tiles in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock