Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Critique this Tiling Job in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

T

Tile Shop

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Still likely to be over the limit.

You have three choices.

1. Bodge it and run the risk of injuring yourself or your family when they all come down on top of you/them when taking a slash (sounds harsh but has been known)

2. Do it properly. Take the tiles down, replace any damaged plasterboard and re-tile (my prefered option)

3. Live with it and have that little slither of tile and the teeth marks in the cuts point and laugh at you every time you go in there until you go insane and end up in a straight jacket and padded cell for several years with ongoing therapy until after years of counselling and prozak you get your madness under control and finally concede that option 2 may have been the best way forward to live a life of peace and harmony :)

OP
T
Reaction score
Ha Ha Paul thanks, that's the first time I've laughed in days.

1. the toilet is over the other side of the room, so no risk there, but could get balls cut off having a shower. I don't fancy that.

2. yes

3. forget it.

is there a compromise where I could get them to take the slither and one tile out each side and put two half tiles in or will that look as bad?

By the way the shower tray/cubicle and sink is fitted on that wall since the pictures.

I did ask on this thread does there exist a corner trim, maybe brushed stainless steel that could be fitted and look ok?

T

Tile Shop

To be honest I think it will be too noticeable that you have two half tiles in a corner. You could give it a go to see if you can live with it before making your decision about re-tile, but personally, I think it will be a waste of time. Others may have a different opinion.

It depends on how thick the slither is, but this is 15mm deep and may work to cover it?
https://www.tiling tools/product/15...ished-chrome-self-adhesive-internal-trim-2-5m

EDIT: thinking about it, if it works, it may be worth doing all internal corners to keep it uniform around the room so they don't look out of place.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
T
Reaction score
That's the sort of thing Paul, thing is I don't think 15mm is big enough to cover it, more like 25-30mm. That's quite big. Does anyone bathroom have this sort of corner finish by choice? Maybe high end bathroom - lol.

I'm getting to the point where I'm thinking to rip the ffing lot out. Everything is a compromise and it shouldn't be. Anyone want a job in Lancashire?

T

Tile Shop

In some situations, they can look quite neat, but if its the intended look you are looking for, there are better trims to use and the tile still needs to be right. This is designed more of a last-ditch cover-up when all other options are exhausted.

OP
T
Reaction score
Yes, I think I'm going to get it redone, I guess tiles don't come off to easily from plasterboard. Better sometimes to take a step back before continuing. Thanks all for your help and advice.

Reaction score
The layout has gone horribly wrong. Not sure why as the classic mistake is not realising the walls are not plumb as the installer goes up the wall from the first bottom course with a full tile, but it seems this was easily apparent as the cuts are tiny all the way up. I think this is just a poor job and is prone to water ingress. Tiles don't look level either as the joints don't meet in corners. Looks like grout has been used in the soap niches instead of silicone which won't seal out water. Poor cutting of tiles (rough machine edges). Non-mitre of trims, just butt-joints.
The only solution is to ask him to rip it out and start again.

OP
T
Reaction score
I'm ordering new tiles today. Bathroom furniture being taken out tomorrow. Next week tiles off full wall and bad ones around window being taken off and surface prepared. After that I'm looking for a tiler ro finish. You don't fancy coming over to Ramsbottom do you?

OP
T
Reaction score
I'll take all tips on board when liaising with tiler. I'm interested to know how you professional tillers would have laid out this space. Whether there are different ideas on approach. On left side is a shower quadrant. On right side mirror cabinet and sink.

View attachment 106279

Presentation1.jpg

B

Bill

You need to send me a message as yours is blocking contact, so I can give you my details and vice versa.

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Wise choice taffy

Reply to Critique this Tiling Job in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock