Discuss Critique this method: suggestions / advice appreciated in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

M

mean_in_green

'Evening Gents,

Recently joined the forum and have spent the last week trawling through loads of threads here to get my head around the right way to tackle a floor tiling job in my own home. I'm a joiner by trade but can take advice / read instructions / measure accurately and work to fine tolerances. Here's a summary of my observations and plans, with a few questions thrown in too:

30m2 in Polished Porcelain (cream) 600 x 600s. Sample tile is perfectly flat with a 0.5mm bevel. The tile size plans out really nicely through a hall, WC and kitchen leaving only a few small cuts visible.

It's a sand cement screed over a concrete base, forty years old. Previously covered in thermoplastic tiles. I'm intending to use an acrylic primer over the bituminous residue. I've been all over it with an 2,400mm straight edge and level, it's not too bad: +/- 5mm. There was a high spot where an internal wall has been taken out, I took 1,200mm out along the length and re-screeded it and now it's level.

I'm not at all enthusiastic about doing the SLC, but can see that it makes good sense to get it all as level as possible before getting to the next stage so am paying someone to do that bit for me this week.

Do I prime again over the SLC before addy?

Taking from all the good tips I've read, I believe I need a single part flexi powder adhesive and grout appropriate for porcelain. Grout gaps will be 4mm with grey grout planned (would prefer cream but my head says keep it practical in an entrance hallway).

Should I use white adhesive with polished porcelain or is grey perfectly ok?

Will use a 10mm square notched trowel and back butter.

For cutting I have a no name 600 wet saw for which I've ordered continuous rim porcelain wheels from ATS. I used it to do a travertine wet room at our last place and got on with it fine. I'll test cut the sample tile to see what to expect on cut smoothness. I can see that a pro would whip round with a big dry cutter, but I don't mind that it will take a bit longer and it's kit I've already got and am used to.

I plan to clean and seal the tiles before grouting (looking at Fila MP90). How long would you expect non rapid adhesive to take to go off, considering the non-porous substrate and the reasonable size of the porcelains?

I *think* I've got it all covered, but as I really want to just do it once and do it right I hope you don't mind me asking you Pros in case there are any gotchas lurking that I might have missed..?!

Cheers,

Simon

J

Just Rizzle

if you want to do it once and get it right having very little experience i suggest you do the following ,always prime the floors befor applying addy to make sure your floors remain level and lip free i suggest you use a leveling system i recommend a clips and wedges system.this will allow the tiles to be and firm and stable while fixing . if you use this method your addy needs to be a bit more viscouse.ie if the addy says apply 5 to 1 make it 5.5 to 1. but do it at you own pace. another tip lay the tiles dry cut befor mixing and sticking . i persume as your trade is joinery you have removed all skirting and back moulds. hope this helps

M

mean_in_green

Thanks Gents,

I have looked at a few of levelling systems out there, they seem aimed at the keen DIYer or less experienced. As I haven't got the opportunity to gain the experience before I do mine maybe they do suit my circumstances (not least with 600s...)

I did think about Ditra or CI, but there's no UFH and the screed seems in ok condition. Thinking about it I could have Ditra'd the short run where I re-screeded but didn't know about those products at the time unfortunately. Am going to look at this again though taking the point about adjoining floors.

Cheers,

Simon

M

mean_in_green

Job's done. Will try to upload a pic or two - it looks good, am pleased.

Expected it to take a week but took two - you pros will probably chuckle for 30m2..., I'm Mr. Slow for sure...

Thanks for the tips. I decided to use a levelling system, as I hadn't the time to learn and didn't want to risk a poor result. Quite frankly as a novice I wouldn't have stood a chance without. The whole lot is beautifully flat and lippage free. Just kept checking levels everywhere with a three metre box section and a little boat level.

Was a bit suprised to find the SLC actually seemed to just exaggerate the existing height variations rather than even them out. Someone else did it for me, and it seemed to go down ok with pin roller etc. Was only when I checked it later did I discover the floor wasn't really much better. Not quite what I'd hoped.

Used Tilemaster rapid flexi and Tilemaster colour matched silicone / grout. Nice gear.

Cutting wheels by ATS did the job too - no chipping, just sliced straight through on the bridge saw. Discovered said saw ran out by three mm.... (refitted the guides on it to take account of this...)

Degreased with Lithofin Wax Off - also nice to use - then sealed with solvent MP90.

All in all it feels like a top job so a big thanks for the advice. I enjoyed doing it but note that I won't be rushing to do it again though... Even with new knee pads I feel like I've taken a couple of layers off...!

Last edited by a moderator:
M

mean_in_green

attachment.php
attachment.php

Chalker

TF
Arms
Reaction score
A good example of how the forum works. you came on and politely asked the correct questions. Then using that advice, used the correct materials, combined with common sense and a good eye.

good job

M

mean_in_green

Thanks for the comments.

It was a job I didn't really want to do in one sense but I couldn't find anyone who I thought would be capable of doing it properly. Two "tilers" came to quote, one was actually a plasterer the other seemed to be plumber. Did my research here first then asked about their proposed methods for the job - that's when it became clear they weren't tilers!

Just the thought of having over a grand's worth of materials improperly fitted and having to potentially sort it out was enough to make me realise I'd probably got to do it myself. Another little project before Christmas eh...!

Dunno how you guys do it - on your knees all day?! Will have a bathroom and ensuite to do next year so any decent Leicester area tiler feel free to get in touch!

Reply to Critique this method: suggestions / advice appreciated in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks