Discuss Crap coverage - back butter or up-a-notch in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hey guys,

quick question. Using 8x8mm trowel for metro onto backer board in shower. BAL SPF and 8mm deep tile. Only getting about 80% coverage, would you up to 10mm or back butter?

They're the cheaper ones from CTD, lots of the tiles are bowed. Should I return and get the more expensive ones, do you get what your pay for?

Thanks fellas

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks Dave. I bought a 10mm trowel but will stick with the 8mm, fingers crossed my tiling skills have improved since yesterday! Going to mix the adhesive in smaller batches, wasted a ton yesterday.

P

Perfect Tiling

Sometimes those tiles if bowed can be back buttered as well...but not to the extent that the addy oozes out of the grout lines. take the odd one out after you've placed it to check on the coverage.

Reply to Crap coverage - back butter or up-a-notch in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks