Discuss Cracks in newly finished bathroom metro tiles in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi I’d be very grateful for advice. I had a bathroom fitted a couple of months ago and have just noticed that many of the metro tiles have spidery cracks in them. There is no pattern to them - some cracks run up through a couple of tiles but they’re not all adjacent. I’m sure they weren’t there when they were put up. My tiler can’t explain it. It is just on one wall. We have a new cast iron bath in that room which went in after the tiles were laid as did a new velux window. But there are no new visible cracks in any other walls elsewhere in the house. I assume we’ll have to have it all retiled but I’d like to understand why it happened so it doesn’t happen again.

D7FA7C2F-3F43-460E-B223-56C286D2BCC3.jpeg

Reaction score
You need to see what’s happening behind the tiles first
Hi again. The builders have removed the tiles. The plasterboard underneath (which they didn’t replace so is old) clearly shows the same cracks (picture attached). They’ve now removed this and have suggested the vertical joists may not be sufficient (picture attached). Grateful to know what others think here please.

Attachments

• ABD10E38-C694-40F5-A290-3DC5058A4024.jpeg
    711 KB · Views: 28
  • 581631A4-9833-45C2-AE99-1DBF8241148A.jpeg
    520.1 KB · Views: 29

eddcottee

Arms
Reaction score
Shouldn't have tiled onto that in the first place as that plasterboard is clearly nackered. They should have stripped it all out and installed tile backer boards instead and then tiled onto those. That way you won't suffer from the movement and cracking you have seen.

Having said that, I'm still surprised the tiles have cracked in the manner they have and others on here who are more experienced than I am, may be able to offer further/ better advice than I can.

Hope you get it sorted.

Reply to Cracks in newly finished bathroom metro tiles in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks