Discuss Cracked tile in shower in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hello

We recently had our bathroom renovated. We have a walk-in shower, so the tiles are the same in the shower and the bathroom floor. One of the porcelain tiles (large format: 800x800x10mm) has cracked by the walk-in shower. The tile was cut (‘L’ shape cut) to fit the wet room kit. The crack appears to be getting worse. Please can you advise:

1. What is likely to have caused the tile to crack?
2. What are the solutions to rectify this, as I assume we cannot leave the crack as is?

I’ve attached a couple of pictures. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Attachments

• 13A20744-6425-436A-B02E-BBEEA721C9F3.jpeg
    339.6 KB · Views: 38
  • CE2CE468-F989-4ABA-BE7B-7A9BF1FCCC84.jpeg
    358.6 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Reaction score
An L shape cut will be inherently weak at the point where the cuts meet and any movement in walls or floors will normally expose these weak points. One way to take the pressure off of the point is to drill a little 5mm or 6mm hole where the cuts meet, then cut up to that hole.

Make sure the replacement tile is back buttered with adhesive so you get a full bed of gear with no voids under it, hopefully it’s not on timber as there will almost certainly be movement again if that is the case.

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
What is likely to have caused the tile to crack?

Answer:

There could be any number of reasons why the tile in your home has cracked. Perhaps there was an accident and something heavy was dropped on it. Or, over time, the tile may have simply become worn down and weak, eventually leading to a crack. No matter the cause, it's important to fix cracked tiles as soon as possible. Otherwise, they can pose a safety hazard and allow water or other debris to enter your home.

What are the solutions to rectify this, as I assume we cannot leave the crack as is?

Answer:

There are a few ways to fix a cracked tile. You can use adhesive to put the tile back together, or you can use a resin epoxy to fill in the cracks and then seal it with a clear topcoat. If you're not comfortable doing either of those things yourself, you can always hire a professional tiler to do it for you.

Tremblay renovations

Reaction score
This is the worst explanation I’ve read lol

How close to the tray is the tile? Usually cracks will appear in l cut tiles because the cut compromises the tile and if there is no room for expansion then the tile will inevitably crack

99.9% of tiles that crack is due to movement in the substrate (lateral movement with no decoupling membrane or impact I.e up and down)

Tiles should have a 6mm expansion clearance around the perimeter of the room and against any obstructions

Reaction score
Looks like it's near the drain? If so then might be because the floor by the drain will be sloped and that tile is half on the slope and half on the flat part of the room? And as previously stated that tile will be weak from cutting

Reply to Cracked tile in shower in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
andymtl24
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks