Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Cracked Screed, Previous Subsidence in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi guys, I have a kitchen I'm soon to fit.

After Pulling the original tiles up I have discovered a crack in the screed where an internal wall has been removed.

It looks to be a very old crack, there is nothing visible externally on the walls either.

Just wondering what peoples approach would be. Obviously If there was any dropping in the floor the tiles would crack, I don.t think that is a concern as it looks to be stable....

I think the use of a decoupler would be wise incase of any lateral expansion obviously.

Please let me know your thoughts, I can add pictures tomorrow when I am on site.

OP
W

White Room

Pics would be good and I'd tapping around the crack to see if it's hollow in any areas.

OP
L

lmkitchens

The floor is solid, doesn't appear that the sublayer has dropped. The crack as mentioned seems very old, the walls don't have any cracks in either or at least of they have they have been plastered along time ago as this is the first bit of work the house has seen for a long time.

My tiler mentioned it may be worth tieing the now 2 slabs together with resin & rebar.

I will post pics tomorrow morn anyway.

OP
L

lmkitchens

20150521_082338_zpsiydxgo6p.jpg

No hollow sound to the floor. I think it may be where the two slabs have been joined...

Thoughts?

Ajax123

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Kit looks like screed on top of concrete. The crack might actually be a joint in the concrete. What sort of tiles. Re you putting down and Are you looking to put anything on top of the screed first e.g. Ditra, insulation board etc

OP
L

lmkitchens

60 x 60 porc tiles.

Was thinking dural matt over the crack area which would obviously allow any lateral movement

Does that sound about right?

Reply to Cracked Screed, Previous Subsidence in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
flooringdemand
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock