Discuss Converting wet room to shower - what to do with existing waste in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

S

SteveSimmons

Hi all, hopefully one or two of you can advise me, before I go out for quotes.

I have an existing wetroom, 1300x1650 with drain in the middle of the room. Tiles are leaking, bottom of doorframe is rotting, everything in the room gets soaked when showering... In short, time to rip it out and put in a normal shower with a proper glass screen, and keep the rest of the room dry.

Only problem is the floor is solid concrete with the existing waste right in the centre of the room, 150mm away from where the edge of the shower would be. The top of this waste is 40mm below the new top of the tiled floor. To complicate matters, the washbasin drains into this waste too, via a pipe buried about 7cm deep in the concrete floor.

How would you suggest I approach this? My thoughts so far are:
  1. Cut out existing waste, relocate to right location for a shower tray, and plumb back in.
  2. Leave existing waste where it is with a new cover 40mm higher,flush with the tiles on the non-shower part of the floor. Slighly raised shower tray, draining in to the existing waste.
  3. Leave existing waste where it is with a new cover 40mm higher, flush with the tiles on the non-shower part of the floor. In the shower half of the room, use existing wetroom floor profile with low profile drain emptying somehow into existing waste.

I'm kind of stuck at this point... How much pain is it to relocate a drain in an existing concrete floor?

Thanks in advance for any help... (And if anyone near SW4 want to come take a look and quote, please do!)

Reply to Converting wet room to shower - what to do with existing waste in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks