Discuss Converting a Shower into a Wetroom (DIY) advice in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

DaveC

Hi,

I have gutted a shower room with the intention of creating a wet room.

The floor tiles were lifting due to the bad flooring install

This leads me on to asking for your educated advice,

1. In your opinions what wet room try/base would you suggest I install (1200x1200mm)?

2. The existing floor is 18mm chipboard with the old tiling cement/adhesive all over it, is there any cost effective way of removing this cement. would it be feasible to level the cement/adhesive and them install some sort of substrate on top of the cement. if that is a positive what should I use as a substrate, 6TBB or 6mm Ply?

3. One and half walls are plasterboard that have been skimmed and tiled (badly) and the other half is 12mm plywood that has been tiled. Once the tiles have been removed would I need to re skim the walls?

4. Once again in your opinion what is the best product for tanking the wet room area.

5. I intend install mosaics on the wet room base (to simplify the cutting to the base lines) and travertine tiles on the walls and floor. Can you see any problems with my choice of tiles.

6. I have had a look at Wickes and Topps Tiles for the base but am unsure of the quality. They both don't sell the 1200x1200 base that I would prefer. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

I am sure these questions have been asked before and I apologise for this but have scrolled through the forum and I haven't managed to find the answers I am looking for.

Regards

Dave

Reaction score
Dave

From the view point of Impey Wetrooms this is the advice from our technical team.
Of course I'm not trying to push any particular product but we can only accurately advise from the perspective of our own range.

Good luck with the project.

Neil

1. In your opinions what wet room try/base would you suggest I install (1200x1200mm)? yes the AD7 1200x1200m

2. The existing floor is 18mm chipboard with the old tiling cement/adhesive all over it, is there any cost effective way of removing this cement. would it be feasible to level the cement/adhesive and them install some sort of substrate on top of the cement. if that is a positive what should I use as a substrate, 6TBB or 6mm Ply?

A 4mm ply would bring the level back up to 22mm of the aqua dec. no sure if it would lose the uneven surface without extra work.

3. One and half walls are plasterboard that have been skimmed and tiled (badly) and the other half is 12mm plywood that has been tiled. Once the tiles have been removed would I need to re skim the walls? It depends on the state of the walls once the tiles have been removed, if really bad I would suggest using BB as a replacement.

4. Once again in your opinion what is the best product for tanking the wet room area. Impey tilesafe membrane carries a lifetime guarantee

5. I intend install mosaics on the wet room base (to simplify the cutting to the base lines) and travertine tiles on the walls and floor. Can you see any problems with my choice of tiles. As long as they are thicker than 6 mm they should be fine. Seal them before fitting them and ensure full coverage of tile adhesive to ensure the solvent based sealer does not come into contact with the membrane.

6. I have had a look at Wickes and Topps Tiles for the base but am unsure of the quality. They both don't sell the 1200x1200 base that I would prefer. Your thoughts would be appreciated. These two products are decent as long as they are under boarded correctly, but they are 30mm thick which means more of a step into the bathroom, our Aqua Dec is only 22mm

I am sure these questions have been asked before and I apologise for this but have scrolled through the forum and I haven't managed to find the answers I am looking for."

Reply to Converting a Shower into a Wetroom (DIY) advice in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks