Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Construction Skills College Tiling Courses in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi guys,
im thinking of taking the week or 2 week course with construction skills college in stoke on Trent. Initially I want to learn to tile to complete some projects at home (bathroom and kitchen wall and floors) to see how much I enjoy it and to see if its something I would like take up. If I do decide I'd like to go further with my tile then I realise I will have a lot more to learn and lot more training to do.

My questions are
has anybody completed either the 1 or 2 week course with this place and if so what was it like?

Upon completion of this course is it unrealistic to expect to be able to tile my own bathroom and kitchen floors and walls to a good standard?

Like I said above if I decide to try and take tile further I realise lots more learning will be required but will this course be a good foundation to build on?

Thanks for taking the time to read this and thanks in advance for any answers

OP
M

Mr Tiler

i completed the 12 months t.f course... and im just at the start of a great career lol

OP
R

Rolo

Thanks for the replies so far guys especially mr tea bag. I wish I had my time again so I could of learned this when I left school. Now I'm used to the wages and have commitments I couldn't go into full time training for longer than a few weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
M

Mr Tiler

sorry for ruining your post last night Rolo, was just offering some free friendly advice.

OP
T

TJ Smiler

Hi guys,
im thinking of taking the week or 2 week course with construction skills college in stoke on Trent. Initially I want to learn to tile to complete some projects at home (bathroom and kitchen wall and floors) to see how much I enjoy it and to see if its something I would like take up. If I do decide I'd like to go further with my tile then I realise I will have a lot more to learn and lot more training to do.

My questions are
has anybody completed either the 1 or 2 week course with this place and if so what was it like?

Upon completion of this course is it unrealistic to expect to be able to tile my own bathroom and kitchen floors and walls to a good standard?

Like I said above if I decide to try and take tile further I realise lots more learning will be required but will this course be a good foundation to build on?

Thanks for taking the time to read this and thanks in advance for any answers

Hi Rolo, i done a four week course eight years ago. I can't say whether the course your looking at is any good or not but i will say that a 2 week course will teach you about 2% of the knowledge you will need to make a go of this trade as a career, so if you do have future plans to maybe take the plunge then i would suggest that you get friendly with a local tiler who has a good reputation and tell him what your plans are, see if you can get him/her to keep an eye on you when you start and if they would mind you joining them on some of there jobs (in exchange for free labour maybe) so you can actualy get a feel for the trade...... because you do not want to underestimate how much is involved in learning to be a tiler and how many of the other trades you will have to learn before you can earn any 'good' money at it..... it has taken me eight years of non-stop graft to actually get to (well to be honest, not flash) considerably more above the level of earnings the course said i could earn. But yes it can be done mate.

I think that after your course you will be able to do a nice job on your bathroom with your tile but the key to tile is what you do behind the tiles so just make sure you check all that out first. Best of luck to you :thumbsup:

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Nice to see you back Mr T - I thought drink might have played a part. I was a bit saddened to see a 'banned' banner across your avatar, but I can now go to bed knowing you are back in the fold.

OP
R

Rolo

Thanks for the really informative reply tj.
I like the idea of offering an established tiler labour in exchange for help and advice it's a really good idea mate thanks. You mentioned that I would probably only Learn about 2% of what I need to learn on a 2 week course, unfortunately due to work commitments to pay the bills, family life, etc i can't go back into full time education to learn the rest so do you think that It will be possible to learn everything eventually through getting some work experience with a tiler and whilst completing work in my own house?

Manymthanks again tj

Reply to Construction Skills College Tiling Courses in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock