Discuss conservatory summer job in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

B

bradburytiling

Hi all,

Got a call from a friend of a friends mother today, she wants a conservatory built on the back of her house. And has asked me to manage it from start to finish. I will also be laying the bricks and blockwork as my career in construction started as a site bricklayer and progessed to tiling. (You can't bet laying bricks in the summer sun for a week!) Obviously i will be doing the tiling in the conservatory aswell. And farming out the glass work to a local company.
BUT....
what im not sure about is building regs as the conservatory she wants is a fair size, and also it needs to match the existing house floor level, which is a sursupended floor around 2m high to the existing garden level behind.
Does anyone know anything about this?
Any advice or links, i would be really grateful.
Obviously i dont want to apporach the council if i dont have to.

Cheers All!
Adrian

D

david campbell

not sure about the regulations but i know you will need planning permission!
there must be a fair amount of brickwork if you are coming up 2m to the existing floor level:drool5:

D

doug boardley

You dont need regs for a conservatory, its classed as a lean to.

:8:
I think it depends on the size Dom, if it's above 10% of existing building planning and building control is required. I might nip up to loft to dig out my HNC notes tho':lol:

B

bradburytiling

thats what i thought diamond tiling, as it has extrenal doors going in to it, but its the brick height issue as david cambell said, i wont be opening any existing house brick work up.
Im not reluctant to get building control involed, but i know you can do it with out even having to talk to them about it as long as your all legal. Expect i dont know the law in regards to size and brickwork height. I know its around 50 - 70 m3 including any existing extensions or garges.

D

doug boardley

have a look in Approved Document A, of building regs, you should find what you're looking for there:thumbsup:

D

david campbell

if it's attached to the house you will need to open up the existing brickwork-
1-lead cavity trays for the roof and
2- the brickwork will need to be fastened with alligator ties(ties using a metal plate bolted in to the existing and slip in flat ties)
3-damp coursing will need to run from the existing building at ground level

C

Colour Republic

Most conservatories won't need planning but will need to meet regs

My brother owns a glass factory and does works all over the south east. If you give him a call he should be able to tell you all you need to know re: your specific situation

If you want him to give you a price tell him you got his number off his brother and I said to give you a good price.

Antony - Office - 01444 810111 & Mobile - 07512 323800

www.bowalkerwindows.co.uk

Reply to conservatory summer job in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks