Discuss Confusion of which tanking product to use! in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

G

GerryB

I'm a DIY'er refitting a bathroom and en-suite and with 2 showers to tank/waterproof.

One I plan to line with 12mm hardiebacker, and it also includes a preformed Schluter niche.
The second will be lined with MR plasterboard dot and dabbed to brick walls, so I don't believe concrete board is an option.

In both showers the trays are already in place.

There's a huge difference in price between, e.g. a Mapei tanking kit and a Schluter waterproofing kit with membrane and I'm getting confused with what is the best solution. Is this because the Mapei is water resistant and the Schluter waterproof?

I wan't to do it right first time so willing to spend for the best, so am in need of the professionals recommendations.

Also, advice on how best to achieve the seal to the trays is needed?

D

Dumbo

Don't use Hardie backer or plasterboard use jackoboard and joint the boards with a self adhesive butyl tape and also put the same on the screw heads to water proof those penetration . Jackoboard is waterproof so only needs joints and screwholes waterproofing

D

Dumbo

Can I attach jackoboard to bare brick?
Yes it's really good process it gets your walks 100% plumb and flat if done correctly , I expect they have a video on their website or you tube . Basically in involves pushing a screw driver through the board and putting an adhesive dab on each hole . Then fix the board to the wall using a spirit level Then when adhesive has gone off drill through the holes then plug and screw using jackoboard washers .

Reply to Confusion of which tanking product to use! in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks