Discuss Complex diy job😬 in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi, im looking for some advice please on what correct adhesives and tanking to use in regards to my small and (to me) quite complex bathroom renovation. Btw im a chippie/dryliner by trade but have done a few small tiling jobs before like kitchen splashbacks etc.
Basically 2 of the walls are external walls that i took back to brick and dot and dabbed on 20mm qboard(b&q'insulated cement board) 1 of these walls is behind the bath, but both will have 300 x600 ceramic tile on. There is another wall that i re-lined with 12mm hardibacker onto timber stud that will form the end of the bath and the bar shower wall that will be tiled with hexagonal marble mozaic tiles. And finally a skimmed half bare plaster/ half painted wall where there will be a built in vanity unit with pan, sink etc that will also have the marble mozaic tile on.
My question is this... what would you use to tank around the bath/shower? Do you think it is needed? What adhesives do i use on each substrate and is there one that will do it all? I.e cermaic and marble on all of the surfaces? I was looking at potentially using BAL allstar adhesive, would that be suitable?
Any help is greatfully recieved
Cheers

Reaction score
I would use something like Mapei or Tilemaster tanking liquid on the hardieboard as its not waterproof, it wont rot or crumble when wet but it will allow water through. I would tank any walls in the wet area just as a precaution, for the sake of 25 quid it'll give you peace of mind.

Ive never used BAL Allstar but from what I can see, itll do fine.

Reaction score
I would use something like Mapei or Tilemaster tanking liquid on the hardieboard as its not waterproof, it wont rot or crumble when wet but it will allow water through. I would tank any walls in the wet area just as a precaution, for the sake of 25 quid it'll give you peace of mind.

Ive never used BAL Allstar but from what I can see, itll do fine.
I went for the mapei waterproofing kit in the end, 50 quid but its piece of mind as the refurb has cost us a lot of money for what it is. Its got a primer for porous surfaces, rubberised joint tape and the tanking liquid👍.

Reaction score
All star is a tubbed adhesive is it not?
It comes in a tub but its a 2 part thing where you mix in an "admix" that comes in the top of the tub. The spec sounds good in theory, that it will cover me for all of my situations with the 2 types of tile (ceramic and marble ) and on the 3 different backgrounds(hardiebacker, plaster, and insulated cement board) although potentially the tanking kit will level out the porosity of these i would think, making the more uniform?

Reply to Complex diy job😬 in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks